Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you guys. I bought some canned fish flakes/tablets in large containers. I was thinking of putting some in a smaller container and freezing the rest in the freezer. I have a concern that when I take the food out it will get soggy. How do you guys keep the food fresh and if you freeze how do you prevent moisture?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I think vacuum sealing might be better than freezing dry food for just that reason: The moisture in the dry food can cause problems when you thaw it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't purchase more than four or five pounds at a time. Well, I do tend to over feed a bit and it's lots cheaper in buckets. ;-)

You might want to consider some alternate brands. Some such as Ken's Fish package in 8 oz. vacuum sealed bags. If you order a pound you get two 8oz packages and so on. OSI foods are sold in sealed cans.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the answers I was hoping for. I remembered reading somewhere here that dwalstad buys in bulk and freezing them. I was hoping to hear more detail on how to thaw to avoid condensation and/or how to seal properly.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Pack it in small separate packages (ziplock or something) . When you pull out a package for use, let it warm to room temperature completely before opening. That will keep condensation from sogging the food down.

-Dave

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave. I looked up condensation and it says that this process occur when warmer air comes into contact with cooler air. The key is to have the container air tight with as little air in it as possible when freezing(so as not to collect moisture in the food from inside the container as it cools) and let it warm to ambient temperature when taking out as you said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts