Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of material do you attach with java moss for foreground? i use SS wire net that you can buy at any art or hobby shop for my friend's tank. it seems to be ok. anything else???

Tim

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just let mine float, but it stays where I put it unless the crayfish gets bored. He's why mine isn't tied down. I would use cotton thread, but thats what I have around.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Foreground moss

Tim
The best way for me to use moss as a foreground is coconut shells.
They can be placed anywhere and also be removed to trim.
I buy the coconuts from the supermarket at .50 cents each.
I use a table saw to cut it in half, also sometime I use a hammer and a flat screwdriver. I gut out the meat with a screwdriver and use it for Chicken, potato and onion curry over rice. hmmm
I use a plier to shape the edges and to pull off the bark. The next step is to drill holes all over the shell so you can use fishing line to thread the moss on and also make it easy to tie. The other reason I drill a lot of holes for water flow, so there will be no dead spots where the shell covers the substrate. Now I soak the shells to remove the tanner.
As a aquascaper I always keep extra shells around. Besides moss, I use it for riccia and java ferns. Sometime it's not easy to tie on plants to a driftwood depending on the odd shape. I just tie it on a shell then place it on the wood. Over time the roots will attach on and can be removed too.

Ken

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all replies... :lol:

Ken,

that is a really good idea. i never think coconut shell before. i used to use coconut hut for my poison darf frogs, but not planted tank. :roll: thanks for sharing this great idea.

thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been thinking about using a coconut shell half with Java Moss as both a foreground element, and also cap the bottom of it with red slate to give my Rams a place to breed.... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Another benefit to cotton thread, is that the Co2 will dissolve the thread around the same time the roots of the java moss take hold on the driftwood.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would not use cotton thread since later on the moss will detach due to not enough light. The more dense it gets from trimming overtime will only kill off the the first layer of moss that was first attach to.
Light fishing line works the best for me in the long run.
I would only consider using cotton line for Anubias nana and ferns watch work well.

Yes, hairnet riccia coconut shells work well. The only problem is it will float when the riccia pearl. The bottom of the shell need to be anchor with lead tape or gravel in the hairnet.

Yes slate will work too, but coconut shells are easier to work with and easier to tie with pre-drill holes.

Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts