·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Irfanview is nice but limited.

There is a open source Photoshop like program called The Gimp that is very powerful.

From their site

The GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.

www.gimp.org

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
i just installed GIMP and played iht it very briefly. Thats pretty nice! I like it better, so fer, than Adobe 5.0. Never used anything higher and I am not that great of a judge.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
dennis said:
i just installed GIMP and played iht it very briefly. Thats pretty nice! I like it better, so fer, than Adobe 5.0. Never used anything higher and I am not that great of a judge.
Try using adobe photoshop 7.0 + or photoshop cs.

I also have another program called Photo Impact, which is basically something similar to adobe photoshop.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I still use infranview for resizing and sharpening up pics. Never really mess with photos but its handy. Still gotta learn what all these buttons on my camera mean! lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jdinh04 said:
Try using adobe photoshop 7.0 + or photoshop cs.

I also have another program called Photo Impact, which is basically something similar to adobe photoshop.
I don't think all that many people have a need for programs with such a steep learning curve as Photoshop. I have 7.0, but I am also a photographer. Most of the professional level features of photoshop/image ready would be of no greater use than programs such as Photoshop elements or LE. Not to mention PS is up around $500. A little bit overkill for basic work like resizing images.

If all you need to do is basic resizing, cropping or color enhancement, Photoshop elements (~$40) or any one of the many great freeware or shareware programs would be a good bet.

-joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
A nice free one for individual use is photofiltre, available for download. It has really nice intuitive features, it's small and will do for the amateur photographer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts