Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I bought a few plants from a Aquabid seller, came with a few snails, who had more babies, which I meticulously killed over next few months. As it happened, I just bought a few more plants from the same seller , they are getting shipped today.

This time I want to kill them before they go in, I do not want to take a chance. I know soaking plants in Potassium Permanganate will do the job, but I cannot find any of the pharmacies selling them over the counter. Is there anything else that is readily available that I can use.

I would buy online but it will never arrive by the time I get the plants.

Help !!

- Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
Microwave on high for.... Just kidding. ;)

I have heard Alum can work also but not as good as the Potassium Permanganate easier to get though.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
PotPerm can be found with pool supplies. You can also do a diluted bleach dip. 19:1 (water:bleach) is usually used to kill algae, but I've used 40:1 dilution and killed snails QUICKLY (but it may not kill the eggs).

-Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went ahead and bought Alum, will give that a try, and then maybe a quick dip in bleach water. Thank you Tobias for the link, bookmarked it, will surely come handy.

Thanks guys for all your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts