Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I haven't seen the creature on that picture, but once I saw a small "jellyfish" in one of my fry tanks. It was round with a diameter of about 1/4 inch, with the appearance and movements of a real jellyfish complete with short tentacles.

Hey, I just saw the other pictures on Oliver's site and it has the jellyfish listed - Craspedacusta sowerbyi - photos, info.
The maximum size is just under 1 inch so this jellyfish can't look too good in a normal size planted tank. But I think it may be an interesting addition to a nano tank :)

--Nikolay

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I saw that one too. That would make for a surreal looking aquascape, filled with freshwater jellyfish all going in one direction.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
That is a freshwater Bryozoan, and is not in the phylum Cnidaria that contains the jellyfish. So, it isn't a real polyp. The polyps of Craspedacusta sowerbyi are said to be very small and inconspicuous. I had a friend once who did research on Craspedacusta, and who said that the creature's name when screamed made a wonderful war cry---Craspedacusta SOWERbyi!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts