Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some eggs from Europe and it took over a week to get to me. Luckily some hatched, five to be exact. They didn't hatch all at once so they vary in size. I hatched them in a plastic container and raised them in that for 2 weeks feeding them paramecium at first and then moina. Once they've reached 1/4" in size, I moved them into my shrimp tank.

Five fries went in, hopefully, five comes out. Feeding them is pretty easy. I scoop into the tank a bit of moina every few days. The moina live in freshwater and are the size of BBS. You can see the fries are well-fed.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
It has been a week and they look to be around 1/2" in size. These guys are notorious for feeding on mainly live foods which makes them difficult to raise.
I crushed some fish flakes for the shrimps and the fries ignored them. I just tried little bits of Repashy gel food and the one fry attacked it! Looks like feeding these guys will be a lot easier. I also have some grindal worms on hand which they love. They ignore the moina while hunting for grindals.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After moving the fries into the shrimp tank, I drained the peat and left the peat alone for 17 days. I found a couple of unhatched eggs but didn't see any embryos inside but it's worth seeing if any will hatch.

I added water into the container yesterday and today I found 3 fries. They're about 2 millimeters while their older siblings are 3/4 inches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts