Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been messing with my water parameters and came up with a couple of questions that I could not answear..I tried to maintain a gh of 4-5 and a kh of 4 but mixing tap water with RO water is not possible since the gh is 9 and kh is 4 so the gh would raise up too much..I thought to use pure RO and use regular aquarium hardening salts but I was a bit sceptical.Do these salts provide trace elements as well?I have been reading the percentage of ions on the label of the product and none of the ions could be said to be a trace elements...please help me out here..

ALSO..
GH is supposed to be a measurement of calcium and magnesium cations.Why these 2 ions are measured as the total hardness?What is actually the importance of knowing the concentration of these 2 ions?Until now I thought that hardness of water was important to match the osmotic rate of a specific fish but if this was right then all ions would contribute to this and not 2 of them only,so whats the deal with with this parameter?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your comments,but what makes no sense even now is that calcium cations for example were once a substance created by calcium cations and HCO3 anions and that was before the polar properties of water kept them apart and created those calcium and magnesium cations.So whenever we measure an x quantity of cations in GH we must know that an equivalent amount of anions are also present in the solution.Also there are other ions that cannot be measured by gh test kits like Na,Cl,SO4,K,HCO3...

I have in front of me a chart showing the ions in a hardening salt product,like the one we use to treat RO water..only one fourth of the total ions is made up of calcium and magnesium cations..

IF the reason we try to keep a certain gh is to match the osmotic pressure required for the well being of particular fishes then it does not make any sense as osmosis recognizes no positive or negative charges so all ions would behave as those we measure in our gh test kits..

SO what is gh,and what is the real importance of this parameter?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,that made things a bit clearer...The 'osmotic pressure required by fish' was one way of pointing out my question and this statement is not exactly correct,thanks for the details though..So we conclude that GH is a parameter that indicates approximately the total amount of ions present in the water and giving the ratio between calcium and magnesium if a calcium test kit is also used..Thanks a lot,a post on KH is coming soon :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know,it is,but it's a competitive sport,you have to perform at your best:)
I have some other questions too,so I will write them down and post tomorrow,thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.