Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I can't hold out any longer, here's three pics to show the evolution of my tank form when I first started setting it up till the 31st of Jan.

As soon as I can get a good pic of it, as well as with the Xmass moss and new Cryps, a pic from this month will be put up as well.

I'm a student, so spending a lot of time on maitanence is not an option, hence I went with almost all cryps :D I'm looking to stay away from all stem plants, actually.
26 watts of light, Hagen CO2 system, and you can pretty much see everything else.

Inhabitants:
1x Sunset Honey Gourami
1x Otto
3x Amano Shrimp
6x Pygmy Cories
1x Wood Shrimp (picture posted in Shrimp gallery)

I plan on getting closeups of fish and the tank itself, but I am going to borrow my brother's camera for that.

Comments/suggestions always welcome, I'm just playing the waiting game to see things growing in! :D

Pic: 1-20 or so

Couple days later (plants from Aquabotanic.com)

Added some more cryps, 1-24

1-31, things grow

In the two weeks since, I did a massive trimming of all emersed growth of the cryps, and some moving around to (hopefully) final spots!

More pics coming soon, and eventually ones that will go into the gallery!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Wow where did you get that great looking piece of driftwood? Is it real? Tank looks good so far, cant wait to see the new pics :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picture time!!!
You can see the major emersed growth trim I did. All the cryp leaves are coming in with brown veins, and even some bronze leaves, woohoo! :D

I really would like some advice as to what to use in the foreground on the right side. The Parva just isn't doing it for me :(
I am also adding Xmas moss to the left driftwood, *and* C. walkerei to the back left in front of the CO2 diffuser. Feeling good, just gotta control this staghorn algae! X_X;

Here is an extra pic! Some amano shrimp action, and my Sunset Honey Dwarf Gourami!

I wonder if I should find him a female friend! ;)

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
C. parva is really slow. In perhaps two years, you will have a good solid cover of parva. If you are Amano, you can buy 200 parva plants and get a solid cover soon. Try some Glossostigma. It is fast, and you will probably not see the parva once it gets covered with Glosso.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just moved the parva to be mixed in with the Willisi on the left side, so we'll see if it grows.

I'm gonna do either glosso or dwarf hairgrass in the front right I believe, I just gotta find someplace to get it! :D

Added a female honey gourami this evening ... lets hope the two get along together well enough.

If they end up pairing up, I am going to keep em both. However if it doesn't work out, I am seriously going to consider getting something else, sadly I'm not too happy with the single gourami situation.

Gyagh, I need to make up my mind :roll:

·
Registered
243 Posts
HeyPK said:
C. parva is really slow. In perhaps two years, you will have a good solid cover of parva. If you are Amano, you can buy 200 parva plants and get a solid cover soon. Try some Glossostigma. It is fast, and you will probably not see the parva once it gets covered with Glosso.
Have you done parva emersed? If so, does it help the slow growth rate?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Geo said:
I just moved the parva to be mixed in with the Willisi on the left side, so we'll see if it grows.
That's what I had and the parva just got overshadowed. After 6 months, that parva was the same size as it was initially, it just got a fatter rhizome (i.e., I don't think you'll be happy with this).

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
JEBrady wrote:

Have you done parva emersed? If so, does it help the slow growth rate?
No, I have not tried that. Also, I haven't tried to really push parva for rapid growth submersed (good light, good CO2, plants not crowded, etc.) If I ever set up parva in a tray with a central location, no plants to shade, plenty of room, etc., they might multiply fairly rapidly.

C. parva might also multiply well in the outdoor set-up described by Tsunami.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aquaverde said:
Geo said:
That's what I had and the parva just got overshadowed. After 6 months, that parva was the same size as it was initially, it just got a fatter rhizome (i.e., I don't think you'll be happy with this).
I guess I'll be a little more specific. The parva is surrounded by willisi on the left side, it has it's own spot so it's not being shaded right now, and it shouldn't be later. They are just next to eachother, so I guess they really aren't mixed at all now that I think of it.

I'm basically writing off the parva right now anyways, the stems I have are so small that leaves are barely visable. If they grow at all, I'll be happy. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
HeyPK said:
Also, I haven't tried to really push parva for rapid growth submersed (good light, good CO2, plants not crowded, etc).
I have had my 10 plants under 4 or so wpg with CO2 in a 10 gal. to try to get something out of them. It's only been a month, and have not seen anything yet, and I'm seriously considering emersed. I could probably get some from AB or Fishvet, and I may do that just to split the stock and try. Tom B. recommended trying emersed at one point.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What can I say ... I'm a lazy ***.

Here's finally a pic, and some updates:

Added Xmas moss to the right wood, and added Marsilae to the foreground under that in hopes it'll grow in nicely. I have C. Walkerii on the back right side, and that has really taken foot - much to my surprise. I also added an inch layer of tahitian moon sand to the substrate to help out the pygmy cories (they still hide all the time :( ) and help the plants take root that I was having trouble with before. I love the look of the eco-complete and sand :D

There is no longer a honey gourami in this tank, instead I have a Sparkling Gourami and 1 Endler. Other livestock: 2 ottos, 2 amano shrimp and 1 Clown Pleco

A small school of fish is soon to come to help get things moving.

All algae probelsm are GONE except I just started on BBA .. yay. It's not rampant, and is really fluffy, kinda cool. I remove it when I get the chance, but you can see it on the center anubias - that's all where it seems to grow.

I also added a sponge over the intake, because I kept getting shrimp sucked in my filter. I plan on adding cherry reds as soon as they start breeding in my 2.5 gallon, so this will help them from getting eaten up by the filter.

Finally, the picture. Hope you like!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Geo,

I really really like the piece of wood. A very nice piece to start a biotope tank. I love your tank setup, because they are filled with crypts :)

ANyway, very significant improvement from the initial setup.

CHeers
Vincent

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Very nice Geo! That is an awesome piece of wood, looks like it's carved into some kind of old man's face.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts