Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 10 lb CO2 cylinder that I am having problems getting a good, tight seal. The welding shop I picked it up at gave me a black gasket/washer, although I already had one(that looked to have no wear).

(THEN)
Anyway, I am using a regulator, needle valve and bubble counter that I bought a few years from "M3"(Marine something-something) - sorry the name escapes me. Back when I used it a few years ago, I remember having a tough time at first with getting a proper seal. When I initially set it up and tightened the regulator on the tank valve, I tested it, by turning the tank valve(slowly) and there was significant leakage. It seemed to be coming from the connection point, so I took off the regulator and wrapped teflon tape around the threads of the tank many times(6-8 times I bet) and finally got it to where I couldn't *hear* any leakage, so I figured it was fine. The tank, unfortunately, went dry after a few months (2-3 if I remember right), which is VERY fast for a 10 lb'er from what I hear.

(NOW)
I am now setting it up again. I exchanged the old tank for a full 10lb tank a couple weeks ago and was having the same problem with proper sealage. I bought a spool of teflon tape, figuring it would help out, but after wrapping it around the tank valve several times like before, I still hear some air leakage(Note: In doing this test, I have ONLY the regulator and needle valve hooked up to the tank and both are turned OFF. The only valve turned on is the tank valve). Should I add more teflon tape or what? I'm at somewhat of a loss as to how I should be asking this, as I have very limited experience with this sort of thing. I'm hoping that the regulator is still good(it should be) as I don't really want to be shelling out more money. The only other possibility is the little black washer I was given from the welding supply place(but I lost it), as I am using the old one -- but, in its defense, I checked it up close and there is no real sign of wear or indentations, cracking, etc. ---> This regulator was really only used for about 3 months, and that was 2-3 years ago. Does anyone have any experience or wisdom they might provide? Maybe I should just try tightening the regulator onto the tank harder --- I don't have a wrench that size, but was using some pliers and *believe me* it is on tight. Thanks in advance and if there is any more information you need from me, please ask. Sorry for the ridiculously long post, but I felt that providing all information would help you answer the question easier.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Do not use teflon tape! The tape, no matter how careful you are, will get into the regulator and become very annoying. The washer you have/were give is all that you need. Also, you should not have to tighten it like superman to not have leakes. Have you tested your connections with soapy water. Possibly it is coming from a place you are not expecting. Gas leaks can be hard to pinpoint by sound or feel. Spraying, brushing on soapy water should show you the exact spot immediatly. Is there a chance it is comming for the regulator itself and not the compression fitting where it attaches to the tank. Possibly there is some dirt or other gunk keeping you from getting a good seal. You should remove any teflon tape before the regulator very thouroghly and try again. Turn your washer over as possibly there is a crease or something you have not noticed.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When you say do not use teflon tape, is this for any regulator? The reason I'm asking is because I have a milwalkee and in the directions it says to use teflon tape or leaking may occur. I also had a 10 lb. tank and it was leaking from the tank to regulator connection, and it lasted only 2 months on a 55 gal. I just got a new tank and it is not leaking now but I'm using the teflon tape do you think I should remove it? Thanks,
John.

·
Registered
178 Posts
John, I use the Milwaukee regulator and do not use any teflon tape. The CGA 320 fitting (I believe that's what it is) is not designed to be used with teflon. All you need to use is one nylon washer (my regulator came with two, so that could be confusing). As long as you use a wrench to get it properly tightened, it shouldn't leak. I would also suggest making sure the threads on your cylinder are very clean. The welding shop where I exchange mine often has very dirty cylinders. Even a small amount of dirt could possibly result in a leak.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I managed to get it to where there are no leaks. I found out that I simply had tighened the control valve on the regulator too tight and for some reason it didn't make a good seal. I loosened the knob on the regulator to where its still closed, but not as if it was closed by He-Man and hand-tightened the needle valve knob. I turned on the tank and heard no leakage sounds. I slowly turned the regulator and needle valve knobs and heard a faint sound, so it seems to be working just fine now. Next step is to connect an inline-DIY reactor, running through the Eheim Pro 2222 Cannister filter that should be arriving any day now. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll keep you posted on the progress :)
-Ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts