Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I now have a 72 gal. bow front w/ 2 inches of flourite substrate and an Eheim canister filter. Now looking for the following;

An inline heater (must be 300 watt)
Lighting, (from what I understand I should be considering at least 150 watts of light if not more)

Rocks and Driftwood. I have a general idea of what I would like my tank to look like. I'm interested in making it appear like a root system and I will consider purchasing large pieces of driftwood and rocks.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for what i might top the flourite with for color contrast? I will have large fish in the tank and will be sure to secure all plants (mostly mosses) securely. Perhaps some fine gravel rocks or maybe pool sand???

Please let me know if anyone might happen to have some of these things available for sale on a college student's budget. Money is tight but my interest in this hobby is enormous and I'm eager to get involved.

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not fully vancat. No LMb but other aggressive species will be there. I like the thin layer of flourite sand idea though.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I use the pool sand & flourite together & like the look alot. Don't make the layer too thin though, you want enough to hold the plants down good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update-
I've now gotten flourite substrate, pea-sized black gravel for a thing topical layer, a 4 media basket filter, a Hydor 300 inline heater, a 216 watt light fixture and plenty of great driftwood. I'm in the process of soaking the driftwood and once that's complete I plan on beginning the set up and cycling process. Any ideas anyone? In a week or so I'll begin gathering the plants. If anyone happens to have any extra I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for mosses and some tough plants that can withstand aggressive fish such as Java ferns. Thanks people!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts