Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really glad to have found this site, looks like there is lots of advice here to be had. After stumbling over an un-set-up 135 g for two years, I am finally ready to get it going (my wife said, "use it or lose it).

Before I get started there are a couple of issues that I need some help with.

I have some concern about the hardness of my water. I can use either untreated water or water which has been treated with a softener. The untreated water gH = 13.8 and KH = 11, the water from the softener is gH = <1 and the same KH = 11. The question is which water source should I use? What other problems do you think I will run into with water this hard?

For the substrate I am going to go with fluorite. Given the hardness of my water, should I put a fine layer of peat on the bottom? What effect will peat have on my CO2 levels (i.e. the CO2/KH chart)?

1. Tank water volume: 135 gallon
2. Tank lighting: IceCap w/ 3ea. 5’ VHO URI AquaSun 460 watts, 3.12 w/gal
3. Tank filtration: Trickle
4. Tank substrate: Fluorite
5. Do you CO2? Yes, Automatic w/ Controller

Thanks for your help, any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One reason that the hard water concerns me is that I plan to use Glossostigma extensively and from what I read they do not like hard water. When references state that a plant does not like hard water, do they mean high GH and/or high KH?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the Glosso info Tom, that is one concern I can cross of my list. The Tropica database lists hardness tolerance for Glosso as soft and that is what got me going.

I would still like to use the faucet water which has been softened by a water softener. Really for maintenance reasons, no calcium buildup, etc. Do you see any problem using water that has been softened (i.e. salt content, maybe)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.