Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have heard that driftwood sometimes grow some sort of fungus, but its harmless. Whether or not thats what you have i dont know.....

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have had the same thing happen. I believe the substances released from the wood make the surface habitable for the white slime (fungus or whatever it is). It may change the pH.

I kept soaking the wood but everytime I put it back in the tank I got the slime again.

Steve Pituch

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spituch, is that fungus-like slime harmful to fish or plants? I've boiled it over 2 hours the before I put it in my tank, and I've noticed that the inside walls of the tank are a little slimy now. Has anything bad happened to your tank because of this fungus?

·
Registered
542 Posts
No. The slime was just on the wood. Since it is so unusual, I doubted it would spread. I ended up not using the wood. The tank was fine. I didn't get a slimy film anywhere else in the tank.

Steve Pituch

·
Registered
107 Posts
Im unsure if this would relate to your situation. But if you leave a dead fish in a tank long enough for it to decay it seems to form a thick clear substance over the body. Now im unsure if this is normal or just something that happened when i was a noob. So maybe the wood is decaying? Huh but that wouldnt explain it being on the tank walls now would it? :?

.dc

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
It is a mixture of fungi and bacteria. The coating on the glass or other objects is bacteria that are growing on soluble organic matter diffusing from the wood. I don't think you would get this microbial activity from really old driftwood that has spent years in water. I think it is harmless. If you had snails, they would eat it and you would never know you had it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is a Fungus, I thought I had the scientific name for it somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

I've had before and it does eventually go away, it is harmless and will not affect anything else in the tank.

As Heypk says, snails will eat it, Chinese Algae Eaters also seem to enjoy it.

Doug

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had that on some malaysian wood when I initially put it in my 20g.

I found a quick way to get rid of it. Took the wood out, got a toothbrush & just lightly scrubbed it off with some Hydrogen Peroxide then rinsed the wood off. Never came back.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had a terrible, persistent case of this with a piece of Florida driftwood. Peroxide and boiling did not help, but some nerite snails cured it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for these answers. I woke up this morning to finding these little ghosts all over my new 65 gallon tank. The plants have been in the water for 4.5 days, fish (4 black phantom tetras & 3 glowlight tetras) for 3.5 days. The CO2 system has been working for 1.5 (had some problems I finally fixed). I was shocked to see this stuff floating all over the tank and hanging from various plants. The tank does have driftwood, which I saw had some white growth on it. I scrubbed it off prior to putting the plants in. The driftwood was sitting water in a tub outside for about 3-4 days, then I put in the tank where the tank filter & lights have been running for a week before the plants were added.

Do you think I should ignore this fungus for the rest of this first month, as the tank cycles? One of the glowlights doesn't look and/or behave 'normally'. He has been hanging near the top of the tank. None of the other tetras do that. I plan to get some type of algae eater when the month is done...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Daemonfly said:
I had that on some malaysian wood when I initially put it in my 20g.

I found a quick way to get rid of it. Took the wood out, got a toothbrush & just lightly scrubbed it off with some Hydrogen Peroxide then rinsed the wood off. Never came back.
I did the same thing with mine but it came back, so I dropped in a gravid Japonica shrimp and she finished it in under 2 minutes ... wow ... a definite good investment.

Cheers :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts