Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buyer beware!! I know this is an old thread but I thought I would relay my experience to anyone else who is considering buying from this manufacturer. Their prices are cheap but customer service is non-existent. I bought a tank from them online and went to pick it up at the designated drop off point. They had it wrapped in stretch wrap, which in hind sight I should have removed before signing for the tank. I ran my fingers along the edges over the stretch wrap to check for chips. The tank seemed like it was in good shape. However, when I got the tank home and removed the stretch wrap a big chunk of glass fell out of one of the edges. Further inspection along that same edge revealed a couple more small dings which actually fractured when I added water to the tank. I contacted the manufacturer with no response. Their policy is once you sign for the tank it's yours and no refunds. I ended up throwing the tank out and buying a 48 gallon from PetCo (which I've had for almost a year with no problems). I wouldn't consider buying a tank from this company again and would discourage anyone else from purchasing a tank from them.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Why do they have such good seller ratings in Ebay? Those reviews aren't fake.

I want to buy a couple acrylic tanks very much. Seems like most the problems are with glass tanks and shippers. I'm still going to go for it. 48 X 18 X 17 $170 + $63 shipping, how can you beat that?

Let you know how I do, will get 1 to start. I can't reach the bottom of 24" deep tanks and I'm really tired of hoses and bucket brigades. That's my reason for taking the chance. Well, that and acrylic is awesome for seeing thru and my shop lights will work fine over them. Easier than trying to light a small bowfront, for sure. When you live where there is zilch amount of choices of tanks to buy what can you do? Drive 150 miles and pay 4 X's as much to a store if you can find one with what you want? I don't think so. People who sell them on craigslist always sell all their stuff with it, hundreds of dollars of stuff I don't want. Huge heavy glass tanks is all you can ever find.

Buying from a show or a guy traveling thru and selling out of a motel room is just as risky with a sewing machine, for example. I got burned bad. That's how they get rid of junk. Buy straight or buy from a dealer.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I just ordered it. Super nice friendly patient woman with a lovely southern drawl. Shipping $70, should be here in 3 days.

Now to go find a coffee table strong enough to hold it, no more step ladders for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would differ about buying from a show. The best glasscages tanks I've seen were ones they brought to fish conventions for open sale.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Fish conventions in Wisconsin are called Boat Shows. I wish they had fish conventions, those glass tanks would sell like hot cakes.

I already got the tracking number, tank shipped out yesterday.

Talk of buying a new coffee table, wanted one for livingroom, worked good. My farmer is glad I'm getting rid of the 2 45 gallon tanks, not mad at all I ordered the acrylic. He's been running his Wood Mizer all week, told me to help myself to all the 2 X 4's I need for building stands to suit exactly what I want. I build dog houses, picnic tables, etc., he builds feeder wagons, hay wagons and so on.

How do you find where these fish conventions are and when? Sounds like risking more insane driving to the Twin Cities. We went to a Horse Expo there once.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not too many of the Aquatic plant clubs exist yet to hold shows and conventions, but there are fish societies and national associations for cichlids, livebearers, killifish, catfish, etc. that do.

One place I look online is Kingfish Services. http://www.kingfishservices.net/events.asp
Many but not all activities get posted there. Google may turn up a few more, especially if you look for local shows near you.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Bet something shows up in Twin Cities Craigslist when one comes to town. Thank you, I never would have thought of such a thing. They have something like 90 stores over there with aquarium related products. Seems like some kind of show would show up, maybe be in The Mall of America, that's where that big walk thru and under aquarium is I still haven't seen yet is. Bought tickets for my kid and a friend to go. There's even a cafe with the hugest cylinder tank, only picture she took that came out good with her cell phone. Forgot the camera I gave her to take.

Something to look forward to, for sure. If I have enough reasons to add up, Farmer will make the trip with me, need a navigator. I hope one is in that mall, used to see tv commercials for that place even back when we lived in NY. Been here 16 yrs. and still haven't seen it.

·
Banned
79 Posts
The UPS guy snuck the boxed tank up by the back door without anyone even knowing he was here. Our blue heeler keeps trying to heel him, got him twice so far. Good thing we have the best UPS driver in the whole state, maybe USA.

I bought a 2nd tank at Petco, the only 40 gallon breeder they have ever had there. So I had to make 2 stands, just finished spraying them with marine clear coating. So tommorrow I will unbox the acrylic from Glass Cages and put both tanks up on the stands and try my darndest to put up a clear picture for all of you to see both of them. I won't tell you which one is which.

·
Registered
342 Posts
this is off topic, but where in West Central Wisconsin are you from calcimoo? i am from Menomonie originally. it is such pretty country over there.

you can't beat the prices of glasscages.com tanks.

·
Banned
79 Posts
They say that soil over by Menomonie was some of the deepest and best soil in the state so of course that's where they put all the wharehouses. We're from the northern edge of the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York. We pretty much fell on the trail of Amish in searching for farmland somewhere in this country. So of course I think the prettiest country is all the hilly stuff south and south/west of Eau Claire and Fall Creek but too hilly for me driving tractors and usually too expensive so we went east some. We moved here in 1993 in time for all the flooding and tornados. At least we made sure we didn't live near any creeks or train tracks. But we did move into one of those pockets time forgot. Sadly all the Amish are quite a ways south of us and the Mennonites bought up Thorp because people don't like the prison and ethanol in Stanley, that's just plain stupid. But it has all changed a great deal the last few years even out here. I think they've given up being so mean to each other.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Ok, finally the picture is up. I didn't use the Farm's boards, he makes actual 2 inches by 4 inches boards and they were too heavy. Bought boards at big guy's for $18.90, it's the hardware that's real expensive.

The acrylic tank is incredible, I've never even seen one before. I can't believe how light it is. I forgot how they round the corners on the front side, just by chance set it up there that way then saw them. I could just picture myself going years with them on the back and never knowing. They look really awesome.

It has been an excellent shopping experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
so i was looking at this place to order some aquariums, glad i checked out this first. Not gonna get the glass ones anymore. From what ive read though are the smaller acrylics decent?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recieved a tank from glass cages, i must say it is the largest piece of mangled trash ive ever purchased. Since it was a custom order no refunds no exchanges. Steer clear of this company and save yourself the frustration. They dont care if your not happy. thats why you have to pay first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hate to speak out of school here, but I have had the Glasscages tank for over a year now. It's a custom 105 with a cabinet and a 48G sump. The tank, cabinet, sump, and canopy came in in great shape and there hasn't been a single scratch. The customer service is ok, but if you consider that it's factory not a retail store, the expectations have to be in check. I'm very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I bought terrarium,a month ago on frog terrarium . In fact, the links of products lead to Amazon and purchased through this site. I received a terrarium two weeks ago! I do not know whether to do this first site or Amazon, but was supposed to arrive for a few days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my 730 off of them and I was pretty happy with it, reasonably close to pick up no chips / roughness. Been setup for a good while now with no issues. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
365 Posts
240g acrylic tank, with custom stand, and canopy.... Top of tank (the Euro style bracing) "popped" on the back right corner and started pulling up. I dodged a disaster with water, etc., but the tank can't be usable like that as I'm sure it's a matter of time before the sides give out in that corner as well. This happened about 2 WEEKS after the warranty was up. I just contacted them to see what the response is, but either way, that tank lasted less than 4 months and I followed all of the rules they had in place. Horrible craftmanship. Big thumbs down. Now I have a 240g enclosure and I'm not sure what I can really use it for!

·
Registered
211 Posts
initial read, going "oh dear god", i'm happy to have avoided them
i'm reminded that this thread was started years ago
seeing more recent posts, hoping that they've improved, ... guess not

i decided awhile ago to build my own tank, hardest part is a single 12foot long piece of acrylic.

unless your all thumbs, ... if your concerned with price, build it yourself. would be what i pick up from this thread.

·
Registered
365 Posts
initial read, going "oh dear god", i'm happy to have avoided them
i'm reminded that this thread was started years ago
seeing more recent posts, hoping that they've improved, ... guess not

i decided awhile ago to build my own tank, hardest part is a single 12foot long piece of acrylic.

unless your all thumbs, ... if your concerned with price, build it yourself. would be what i pick up from this thread.
Don't buy from this company, at the very least is my opinion. 3 messages into these guys and no response. Not only did the top pop off less than 4 months in (their stand, level, on foam like they say, etc), but the service appears to be still an issue. Oh well, gave me an excuse to fall in love with my 125g all over again while I try to figure out if I can repair this on my own.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts