Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Well crud, I was looking into a 125 that had the dimensions I like (72x24x17 as opposed to the typical 72x18x23). Guess that's out the window with these reviews. I'll postpone for a while.

Bryeman - you could always have a 240 gallon terrarium with newts or other critters, but ouch, what a huge waste of acrylic. If WI wasn't so far from TX I'd consider making you an offer for it. Oh well. Back to the drawing board...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well crud, I was looking into a 125 that had the dimensions I like (72x24x17 as opposed to the typical 72x18x23). Guess that's out the window with these reviews. I'll postpone for a while.

Bryeman - you could always have a 240 gallon terrarium with newts or other critters, but ouch, what a huge waste of acrylic. If WI wasn't so far from TX I'd consider making you an offer for it. Oh well. Back to the drawing board...
Yeah, i was disappointed. Not sure if I'm more disappointed for not following all the advice before hand and listening to my gut, or more so from the fact that they can't even take the time to respond to me. I'm not even asking them for anything but advice on how to repair it because I already know they aren't customer driven enough to stand by something less than 4 months old. Totally unreal.

Thanks for the advice on the terrarium, but I'm doing research on how to repair this and will be attempting that. My 125g is coming along nicely (glass... from a different local place :cool:) and has motivated me to fix this 240g and get it planted. Going to look nice when up and running again. It's a boat load of space!

·
Registered
211 Posts
sadly the lack of customer retention hits all markets as companies seem to think it's more important to get new customers and the old ones well, who cares.

in the computer world, Dell & HP are both like that, IMO that's just bad business practice

in the aquarium world, ... glass cages, no competition out there except every other aquarium manufacturer in the world. and enough people curious about building their own tanks from scratch. ... that's huge competition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's been awhile since this thread has been commented on. It seems people are fairly down on them but it has been a few years. Have they improved at all? They have some great prices and even better sizes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never again! I bought two 48" aquariums from Glasscages.com — over $800. I picked them up off the Glass Cages truck in a parking lot in northern Va. When I unpacked them one was fine. The other had a flaw on the rounded corner of the tank where the wall meets the bottom that looked like the glue had not taken properly — there is a deep cavity that goes almost all the way through! I sent an e-mail on Nov 13th, 2013 with photo asking what I should do. No response.

On the 21st I sent a second e-mail.

On the 25th I FINALLY got a response which was like a form letter and didn’t really speak to the problem or answer my questions.

I sent another detailed e-mail and they responded by saying: "We believe the tank will be fine. Remember you have a 90 day seam leakage warranty.
Go ahead and use it”. They did not sign their letters so I had no “contact person” and their answer was, frankly, clueless — if it did leak it would be my floor that got the 50 gallons of water on it!

I basically gave up on them and repaired it myself. Luckily, I’m pretty handy and my “fix” worked but, if I wasn’t, I can’t imagine the hassle involved in getting them to repair it. Their prices are good but their service and quality control is horrible. Absolutely horrible!

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have just browsed through this thread and find it very interesting. Going back about 8 years I know of several people that bought tanks from them and they praised everything except there price. Form the competition they were roughly 50% higher than anyone else but everyone swore by there quality.

Years ago as a store owner I looked into getting some custom tanks for a customer from them. I found that their recommended retail price was considerably higher than Marinelands custom price. Then there discount for wholesale was much less as well. Now I'm hearing ther prices came down and so did there quality.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased a 100 gallon acrylic aquarium from them you can see the tank in my photos. Since the tank was to be custom built I gave the sales guy in Florida specific design instructions. Specifically I wanted the opening in the top of the tank to be as wide as possible since I was using the tank for a freshwater plant tank. I received a tank with two openings 7 inches by 20 inches which precluded me from setting up the Iwaugumi layout I wanted. Also, shipping was a nightmare. The tank was to be delivered to my office in downtown Louisville. I was never contacted by the carrier as to the date it would arrive. I called Glass Cages and was given the number of the carrier. This was in December of 2012. I did not get the tank until late February 2013, the tank was ordered and paid for in early November of 2012. I was given three delivery dates, and after waiting in my office for three hours the tank was never delivered. After contacting the credit card company my tank was finally delivered. The only thing good I can say about this company was the price was good (799) but I would have paid twice that amount to receive the tank that I wanted and without the delivery problems I will never order from them again!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts