Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The prototype for a glass lillie pipe came in the mail today. I contacted a scientific glass ware company to make the pipe for me. I will be placing a large quantity order to sell the glass return and supply in our auction area. The nipple for the suction cups needs to be reduced and the outlet lip would look better if it was more of an oval. If you are interested in making them DIY maybe contact local glass art stores, etc. I will post drawings that I made for the pipes later. I'm working on the return pipe and will get a prototype of that one next.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Wow! That's awesome.

You know ADA has an old glass blower doing their pipes. At least they used to. Are these things handmade or by machine?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
That is the return for a canister filter. It goes over the side and into the water. Virtually invisible.

See below. Look closely at the sides of the aquariums. Can you spot the Lily Pipes?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Many universities have someone on staff who makes glassware for the teaching staff, you might contact one of them, they can usually do a bit of work on the side. Otherwise, the glass they work with becomes workable at relatively low temps, it's the same stuff used in neon signs, I've done a bit of work in that area in past jobs, a good blow torch is all that's needed, the hardest part would be finding a source for the glass, but I imagine many lab supply houses have it maybe even sign shops that do neon work.

Might have a bit of trial and error period, since it is glass, but seeing the pictures has inspired the Yankee spirit in me and I think I might have to take a shot at it

·
Registered
676 Posts
So how do you attach the filter hose to the pipe? Since it's an external connection you'd need more than a friction fit rubber coupler...well, at least I'd need more than that :D.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you making this available to your locals only ?
I wasn't planning on it.

Can they make different sizes ?
sure, what are typical sizes people use?

So how do you attach the filter hose to the pipe?
They the same size as the tubing, so maybe a clamp if the tight fit isn't enough.

From all the feedback I have been getting from forums, it might be better to make them myself so that I can sell them for less. If I made a large order I could sell them for $30. They seem easy to make, just need to learn a new skill, and then I could sell them for less. Maybe make a kit that includes intake, outlet pipe, clear tubbing and clear suction cups

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
bharada said:
So how do you attach the filter hose to the pipe? Since it's an external connection you'd need more than a friction fit rubber coupler...well, at least I'd need more than that :D.
Bharada,
I'm assuming that the hose is a silicone one. I don't know if you have ever used one but they are very easy to slip in and very hard to pull out. No clamps necessary, it's the material that makes that possible.
Once again, the use of a silicone hose is only an assumption.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Dear Inerface (IUnknown), :D

Hey, may be you can ask that same place that made this lilly pipe protoypes for you if they can work with sintered glass. I don't know if you could price a glass diffuser cheaper than the ones that are already available, but maybe it's worth asking.

Also - they may already have sintered glass diffusers listed as as "gas dispersion" glassware. If that is so they probably come in 3 different grades, for our purposes we probably need the finer one.

--Nikolay

·
Registered
645 Posts
Is there a glass intake? I want to buy some for these large tanks i am setting up, i just got to convince my boss. You are selling them? How soon will you have 3 outflows?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Is the glass going to be resistant to the brown slime coating that other filter tubes (and glass tank) tend to develop? If so, then I figure one has to develop regular cleaning sessions to maintain the 'invisibility' of the pipe...or is the coating going to camouflage the tube anyway?

Have you had a chance to test this out long term?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The pipes need to be cleaned periodically (depending on your water quality). ADA uses a bleach dilution called Supergee.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The intake pipe came in the mail today. It was a little long, so I reduced the size for the production order. The production order should start next week.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts