Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My glosso has been growing vigorously since January now. The carpet is about half an inch thick and I've noticed that it doesn't look as healthy as it used to. The leaves are much smaller than in the past, and many are starting to allow green spot algae to grow on them.

Cyanobacteria has taken over the area between it and the front glass. I'm thinking that is caused by the glosso's thickness preventing circulation from occurring in that area.

Could I renew it by cutting it horizontally? Should I rip out the carpet and replant? Are there less invasive ways to maintain glosso over the long term?

Thanks! -Brandon

PS - 46 gal bowfront, 192 watts PC, Pressurized CO2, low/very low nitrates, fairly soft

·
Registered
256 Posts
hack it down right to the substrate so that only the runners remain.make sure you use a really sharp scissors and it will bounce right back.

·
Registered
171 Posts
And vacuum the substrate right after to remove that old mulm. Its too heavy on organic compounds and thats whats causing the algae.

Every now and then you need to trim the glosso down. When its full grown and is starting to overgrow - its time to trim.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts