Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some old(and nearly dead. . .) rhysomes of java fern that I was thinking about gluing to the back of my 20 gallon(divided with bettas) tank. Would they be able to grow like that or would I need to line the back of the tank with something first?

·
Registered
173 Posts
i wouldnt use chemicals like that on plants personally

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can use super glue gel in a reef tank, I've only got to assume that it is safe to use with plants and freshwater fish. I don't have anything super delicate with them anyway. Just the bettas. More curious if the plant could attach itself to the glass, or if I need to put a craft mesh background on there so it will be able to attach and spread.

·
Registered
581 Posts
YOu are correct, superglue does just fine in the tank and will not harm any of your fish. Feel free to use that method to get your desired result.

I haven't had any java actually grow to glass before, so that may be another issue :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have superglued narrow leaf java fern to some pieces of wood. Let it dry completely before putting it in the water. I have it all in my 29 gallon with RCS and there hasn't been any problems.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Hi Riona,

I have used Superglue gel (doesn't run") to attach plants to rocks and wood. First I dry the surface with a paper towel, one drop of gell, place plant and hold for 20 seconds, put in water. The gel does dry into a white crystal-like substance, so one drop is less noticeable until the plant grows and covers it up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi Riona,
First I dry the surface with a paper towel,
Making sure to leave plenty of moisture on the wood/plant. Water is the bonding agent for superglue thereofre will cure much quicker with moisture than a dryer surface.

I tend to pad rocks/wood dry before adding superglue and attaching ferns, anubias etc. anything with a rhizome basically :)

AC

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do I glue the actual rhizome then(obviously being careful to not smother it in glue)? Or do I need to glue the roots coming off of it?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've used superglue to glue several plants. I usually try to glue a section of the rhizome, but the thick, upper roots have been inadvertedly glued as well, and I've never had a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts