Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I also ordered from EMS in the last couple of weeks. I purchased the 1 liter 50% biological grade for $23.00. The hazardous material charge is a UPS charge, not a EMS charge. My shipping (including UPS hazmat charge) was $32.24 for a total of $55.24. The concentration of glutaraldehyde in Excel is 1.5%. The 1 liter 50% concentration will allow me to make 33.333 liters of 1.5% glutaraldehyde at a cost of $1.657 per liter. Excel typically costs me $20 plus freight for a two liter bottle. Seems like a good deal to me, plus it allows me the option of making stronger concentrations so my doses are smaller.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi MartialTheory,

I have been using Glut instead of Excel for about 6 months now and I find it works as good as Excel both as a source for carbon and as a algae inhibitor. I buy mine here: http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/chemicals/glutaraldehyde.aspx. See post #114 on page 12 of this thread for information as to price and more importantly, hazmat and shipping costs. BTW, Excel contains 1.5% glutaraldehyde.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi MartialTheory,

I mix is at 1.5% concentration. Some of my tanks get "normal" dosage per Excel instructions; other tanks get 2X dosage if I have an outbreak of algae starting.

I don't have any problems with my plants at 2X dosage except for my Vals (but not Sags). My Vallisneria grow 24" tall without Excel / Glut and 2"-3" tall with it. They still send out runners and look healthy except for being stunted. Who knows, this may be a way to develop a new "dwarf Val"! LOL Instead of Vals I use tall (18") Eleocharis species (Giant Hairgrass).

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi overboard,

Just an FYI, Post #115 (page 12 of this thread) is where the Glut concentration in Excel is mentioned to be 1.5%. This was determined as a result of testing done in India. The assumption of a 2.5% concentration is almost 2X the actual.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi ShayF,

Sure, here is the link to the thread. The post is a little over 1/3 the way down the page, dated Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:09 PM. Don't even ask how long it took me to find this reference. I did a lot of digging for almost a month and found posts on countless different forums. I found guesses of anywhere between 1% to 3% concentration of Glutaraldehyde in Excel. This is the only thread I was able to find where testing provided the results.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi MotionInsilver,

Unless you have a lot of aquariums, or large aquariums, it is probably cheaper to use Seachem Excel. It is also easier to get in most areas. Here is a link that helped me solve a lot of my algae issues. Along with dosing Excel I did 2X week 33% water changes and kept the lighting period short (6 hours or less), especially when the tank is new, helped a lot! BTW, I use 50% Biological Grade.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi jcali10,

I purchase 50% concentration Biological Grade Glutaraldehyde; it does not have an "activator". In fact, if you have read this thread in its entirety, you would know that the "activator" that is provided with some of the products that contain Glutaraldehyde is not used.

Glutaraldehyde has several applications, not just as a "sterilizing agent". Here is a link to Wikipedia that indicates some of its' various uses including that of an algaecide. A polymerized version of Glut is the active ingredient in Excel so it is being used in a manner that is being used in a "consistent manner". I hope this clarifies it for you.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi Zapins,

I cannot answer you question as to what the "activator" does. I can tell you that I use "plain" Glut (no activator) and my results from using it are basically the same as using Excel both as source of carbon for plant growth and in higher doses as an algaecide.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi cwhite67,

1) Let's see, 1000 ml per liter

2) 2000 ml in two liters

3) 1.5% of 2000 ml is 30 ml

4) If your Glut was 100% pure you would use 30 ml in 1970 ml of water. However since you are using 50% concentration Glut; to get a 1.5% percent concentration you would need 60 ml of Glut in 1940 ml of water.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi SirLancaster,

I have mixed my own Excel strength Glut for a couple of years now. I mix my own from a 50% concentration solution. I take care not to get the concentrated Glut on my hands or in my eyes.

After I have mixed up my 1.5% concentration I don't worry about it too much. I add it after I have done whatever needs to be done inside the tank. If I have to go into the tank after adding it, I wash my hands and arms promptly after completion. Glut breaks down into carbon after several hours in the tank.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi SirLancaster,

Dosing per Excel intructions will give some minimum algacide properties but mostly you are dosing carbon for plant growth at that level.

Dosing at 2X the daily Excel recommended dose greatly increases the algacide properties, which is what the posts in the early pages of this thread (book) discuss.

As my plants grow toward the surface and the light becomes brighter on the leaf surfaces and algae will try to take hold. At that point I usually trim my plants down to 1/3 the height and let them grow back up again, the good news is they usually grow back even thicker!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi LowTek,

I see you are a newer member to APC.....welcome! Thank you for your input on following proper safety measures when handling chemicals, Glutartaldehyde included.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi barbarossa4122,

I store my unmixed concentrate in the downstairs refrigerator, carefully marked as "Poison" with "Mr. Yuk" stickers just in case my nephews come for a visit. I finished my first bottle after a little over a year and did not have any problems. Because it is a little expensive, and I didn't want to have a 3 year supply, I sell small quantities (50 ml - 100 ml) at cost to local club members.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi wwh2694,

Cidex or Metracide both contain Glutaraldehyde and can be used as a substitute to Excel but do not use it if it has had the "additive" bottle mixed with it.

Per the MSDS for Cidrex is 2.55% Glutaraldehyde. Seachem Excel is 1.5% Glutaraldehyde. You don't have to dilute the Cidrex, just add less. For example instead of 5ml of Excel per 10 gallons for the Initial dose, use 3 ml of Cidex per 10 gallons. For the Daily dose us 3 ml Cidex per 50 gallons instead of 5 ml of Excel per 50 gallons.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi spypet,

Typically the products ship with a bottle of "activator" which adds additional chemicals and boosts the disinfecting capabilities of the products for up to 28 days. Since we aren't disinfecting our tanks we don't add the "activator", we just use the basic solution which contains the Glutaraldehyde.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi wwh2694,

Interesting....the MSDS that I found online indicates a 2.55% concentration. My guess is the MSDS I found is out of date.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi barbarossa4122,

I learned recently, and verified with EMS, that if I ordered the 25% Glutaraldehyde there was no HAZMAT UPS charge. Therefore in the future I will be ordering the 25% Biological Grade Glut instead of the 50% concentration.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi barbarossa4122,

I usually call my order in and specify "no special packaging" otherwise they will want to thermally protect the ingredients so it says good for your electron microscope. They will want to know what you want if for, just tell them it is used as an aquarium additive. They will assign you a customer number and you are good to go. BTW, Credit Cards only; no PayPal!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi barbarossa4122,

You are correct, 120ml of 25% concentration Glut combined with 880ml of water will make 1000ml of 3.0% concentration solution (2X Excel strength).

BTW, your 1000ml of mix cost you $6.93 including freight. Typically a 2 liter bottle of Excel costs about $30.00 from the big on-line stores plus $8.99 shipping. Congratulations, you are saving about 61% and getting it in the concentration you wanted!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Hi DvanK,

MetriCide is typically used to sterilize heat sensitive medical devices and instruments. For example, if you were a dentist and needed to sterilize instruments you would pour some Metricide into a container and add the instruments for 20 minutes. The MetriCide could be used for up to 14 days and then would have lost most of it's sterilization properties and would need to be replaced.

My experience has been that as long as I store my Glut in a cool, dark, location and it remains viable for well over a year after I have opened the container.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts