Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have question to those who use glutaraldehyde. Friend of mine is trying to get rid of BBA in his 40 gal tank and dosing Metricide 28. Nothing seems to change, he is dosing 20 ml every day, nothing at. BBA is still there. So does this thing really works as Excel? I took 1 sp. from his tank and now is in 20 gal tank with no other plants. I also tried dosing the same amount. 20 ml in 20 high tank. Still BBA is there? so what are we missing here? 1 thing I can think about is Instead of using RI/DO water we use plain NYC super soft water? Could this be the cause?

According to Wets calculator this is the mix ratio.

500ml container- 300ml of metricide and 200ml of RO/DI water?

While dosing this stuff, do I need to turn off water movement. filter, powerhead etc? This Metricide gallon was purchased a month ago, so i don't think it expired already and is stored in cool dark place under the counter.

Not only BBA, which is tough but also does nothing to GSA as well in his tank. If you need further more info. I can provide.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey Roy

I understand all above you mentioned, My question is Will Metricide gives you the same effect of Excel ONLY if Diluted in RO/DI Water or it doesn't matter if its Tap water? In my observation this Metricide is less effective than Excel as I bought home a stem of Persicaria Ruby from a friend and dosed 20ml of metricide diluted of course in 20 gal tank but no other plants...Still BBA is in the stem.

When I used Excel a year or so ago for some BBA in Hygrophila sp. 'araguaia' leaves it (Excel) took care of BBA in 10 minutes turning it in Pink color and gone in few days...Shrimps took care of the rest.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I mix according to wets calculator
I dose like so - everyday

40 gal - 20 ml
75 gal - 40 ml
55 gal - 30 ml
26 gal - 15 ml
BBA is nasty - best way I found was to apply with a syringe when doing a water changes. So when 50 % of the water is out I dose the usual amount plus another 10 ML directly to the BBA once all filters power heads etc are off & the tank has zero current. I try to bathe the area in a cloud of glut for at least 10 minutes. The next day its pink :) I have one particular set up that has more BBA than I like but I am sure it has to do with circulation - which is one of the reasons i am going to re scape that tank.
Aren't you over over dosing?
Tips from Wets calculator Site...

-Common dosing is 1mL/10gal of this solution daily or every other day.
-Dose 5mL/10gal after water changes.
-Many folks double or triple the daily dose as an algaecide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts