Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Soo.... Excel is just modified to make it less toxic?

Has it been modified in any way to make it more effective at giving CO2 to plants than glutaraldehyde?

Also, does anyone know if Excel is pure? Or is it laced w/ other chemicals?

I was thinking about running some lab tests on it to see how it is put together in the hopes of gaining an idea of how to make it, but I need a pure sample in order to run the tests.

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
I have access to H`NMR, C`NMR, GC-MS, and a host of other useful tests. If someone can figure out how to distill the chemical out (making sure it is stable enough for testing) then I would be happy to run the tests.

I am currently doing a study on the effects of excel on two genra of algae Chlamydomonas and Scenedemus to determine what concentration (0.5x,1x,2x,3x) has on them. And to figure out if low dosages can actually benefit algal growth or just harm it like previously recorded.

If anyone has any info that might be helpful, please post it!

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Did any of you, Glutaraldehyde users, ever noticed a lowering, or even vanishing concentrations of NO3?

When noticed that, we tested even in a bucket of water, only with some KNO3, and after adding some Glutaraldehyde, concentration as lowered too much!
Could be a reaction from both, or a change in the testing parameters?

Regards,
Livio
P.S. Not registered with Excel, just when using Glutaraldehyde
This is an absolutely fascinating observation and seems to support my suspicions!

The way plants incorporate nitrogen into their tissues is by using an enzyme called glutamine synthase to make glutamine in the following reaction:
(NH4+) + Glutamic acid ----glutamine synthase ---> glutamine

Glutamic acid looks like this:

and glutamine looks like this:

Gluteraldehyde (excel) looks like this:

Just look at the similarity between gluteraldehyde and glutamic acid and glutamine! The drop in nitrates makes total sense because the plant must be using gluteraldehyde as a backbone for adding nitrogen to. This is probably why the nitrate levels in the water drop after adding gluteraldehyde, because the plant can absorb more nitrogen without having to waste energy making the backbone for it.

I wonder if instead of being a CO2 substitute, is gluteraldehyde really just helping the plants absorb nitrogen faster (and therefore helping them grow faster)? After all, if it was providing CO2 then it would drive photosynthesis faster and produce pearling, and I have never seen plants pearl after adding excel, nothing like adding CO2 and seeing pearling.

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
I don't think that happens very quickly, since gluteraldehyde is diluted with water. If all of it turned into CO2 then the solution wouldn't be active for 28 days like it says on their bottle since it would all be CO2.

I think that is only one of the reactions that takes place with gluteraldehyde when it is added to water. But in the presence of other chemicals like KNO3 or NH3/NH4, I would bet that it can react to form different products. Perhaps gluteraldehyde is providing several nutrients to the plants at the same time. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Thanks for the responses so far, but they don't exactly answer what I was curious about. I'm interested in understanding the activator more, what does it do to the inactive glut to change it into something that will expire?

Why is it 14 days and not 50? I assume whatever change the activator does is unstable which is why there is a 14 day life time. I also assume the activator chemically changes the glut. into a more destructive form, but what is that form and is that the form that plants use or is the inactive form the one plant use or alternatively can plants use both the inactive form and the activated form?

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Hmmm... the pieces of the puzzle come together! Thanks. Though I'm still curious about what it does if anyone knows.

Does anyone dose activated glut? What are your results?

What happens if you dose glut after the 14 day expiration date?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts