Aquatic Plant Forum banner
201 - 220 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi wwh2694,

Cidex or Metracide both contain Glutaraldehyde and can be used as a substitute to Excel but do not use it if it has had the "additive" bottle mixed with it.

Per the MSDS for Cidrex is 2.55% Glutaraldehyde. Seachem Excel is 1.5% Glutaraldehyde. You don't have to dilute the Cidrex, just add less. For example instead of 5ml of Excel per 10 gallons for the Initial dose, use 3 ml of Cidex per 10 gallons. For the Daily dose us 3 ml Cidex per 50 gallons instead of 5 ml of Excel per 50 gallons.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks alot i have been using cidex for equipment disinfection for 14yrs. No wonder everytime i use excel in my tank it smells familliar. :) Happy New Year....

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi spypet,

Typically the products ship with a bottle of "activator" which adds additional chemicals and boosts the disinfecting capabilities of the products for up to 28 days. Since we aren't disinfecting our tanks we don't add the "activator", we just use the basic solution which contains the Glutaraldehyde.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi wwh2694,

Interesting....the MSDS that I found online indicates a 2.55% concentration. My guess is the MSDS I found is out of date.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi Seatle_Aquarist,

Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist
I also ordered from EMS in the last couple of weeks. I purchased the 1 liter 50% biological grade for $23.00. The hazardous material charge is a UPS charge, not a EMS charge. My shipping (including UPS hazmat charge) was $32.24 for a total of $55.24. The concentration of glutaraldehyde in Excel is 1.5%. The 1 liter 50% concentration will allow me to make 33.333 liters of 1.5% glutaraldehyde at a cost of $1.657 per liter. Excel typically costs me $20 plus freight for a two liter bottle. Seems like a good deal to me, plus it allows me the option of making stronger concentrations so my doses are smaller.
I was wondering if you know the shipping cost for 450ml of 50% Glut from EMS. I reckon it will be about the same as the shipping cost for 1L. (32.24)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi barbarossa4122,

I learned recently, and verified with EMS, that if I ordered the 25% Glutaraldehyde there was no HAZMAT UPS charge. Therefore in the future I will be ordering the 25% Biological Grade Glut instead of the 50% concentration.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi Seattle_Aquarist,

Great info. I am going with 25% then and just use 120ml instead of 60ml for a 2L bottle of "excel" like. Boy, I am glad I asked you about the shipping. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi barbarossa4122,

I usually call my order in and specify "no special packaging" otherwise they will want to thermally protect the ingredients so it says good for your electron microscope. They will want to know what you want if for, just tell them it is used as an aquarium additive. They will assign you a customer number and you are good to go. BTW, Credit Cards only; no PayPal!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi Seattle_Aquarist,

Great info ob how to order Glut from EMS. I'll place an order soon b/c my Metricide supply is almost gone. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi Seatle_Aquarist,

I received my 450ml bottle of 25% bio grade glut the other day ($26.00 shipped) and would like to make a double strength (3%) Excel like solution. Will 120ml of Glut to 1L bottle do it ?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi barbarossa4122,

You are correct, 120ml of 25% concentration Glut combined with 880ml of water will make 1000ml of 3.0% concentration solution (2X Excel strength).

BTW, your 1000ml of mix cost you $6.93 including freight. Typically a 2 liter bottle of Excel costs about $30.00 from the big on-line stores plus $8.99 shipping. Congratulations, you are saving about 61% and getting it in the concentration you wanted!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi Seatle_Aquarist,

Well, thanks to you I bought 25% Glut. Metricide worked good also but, I'll more happy with the Glut since I can manipulate more the concentration of the solution. Great help, thanks.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi DvanK,

MetriCide is typically used to sterilize heat sensitive medical devices and instruments. For example, if you were a dentist and needed to sterilize instruments you would pour some Metricide into a container and add the instruments for 20 minutes. The MetriCide could be used for up to 14 days and then would have lost most of it's sterilization properties and would need to be replaced.

My experience has been that as long as I store my Glut in a cool, dark, location and it remains viable for well over a year after I have opened the container.

201 - 220 of 259 Posts