Aquatic Plant Forum banner
221 - 240 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi megasycophant,

Yes, apparently there are chemical indicators, in the form of test strips, that can be used to check the viability of Metricide. The strips check for the Minimum Effective Concentration (which is 1.5%) in the application I described above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all,

Are we sure with 1.5% Glutaraldehyde concentration of excel?
Today I bought 1l of 50% chem pure glut, I have mixed 60ml of it with 1940ml water to make 1.5% solution. And I can dose this 5ml for 40l at water changes and 5ml for 200l daily right?

PS. I keep injecting 30ppm of CO2 with ph-controlled system. I aimed to use Glut as algicide and as additional carbon supply for the tank. Do you think there will be any problem due to excess of Glut or due to excess of CO2, if I keep injecting CO2 and dosing glut?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi bammbamm,

Yes, I am as sure as I can be without doing the testing. The testing was done by an ex-chemist in India; here is where the results are posted; you can review the entire thread or read the post dated Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:09 pm. It took me several weeks of Google searches to find that thread.

Yes, you are correct. 1940 ml of water plus 60 ml of 50% Glut will give you 2000 ml of a 1.5% concentration solution.

I use the Glut as an algaecide in conjunction with my 30 ppm CO2 measured with 4.0 dGH indicator solution in a drop checker. Glut, like Excel,
seems most effective on the "soft" algae types.and has some however minimal effect on GDA, GSA, or BGA. My plants seem to like the extra carbon!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi bammbamm,

Yes, I am as sure as I can be without doing the testing. The testing was done by an ex-chemist in India; here is where the results are posted; you can review the entire thread or read the post dated Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:09 pm. It took me several weeks of Google searches to find that thread.

Yes, you are correct. 1940 ml of water plus 60 ml of 50% Glut will give you 2000 ml of a 1.5% concentration solution.

I use the Glut as an algaecide in conjunction with my 30 ppm CO2 measured with 4.0 dGH indicator solution in a drop checker. Glut, like Excel,
seems most effective on the "soft" algae types.and has some however minimal effect on GDA, GSA, or BGA. My plants seem to like the extra carbon!

Hi Roy,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. I'll start dosing 20ml of 1.5% Glut solution at my 800l tank daily (100ml after water changes). My tank's KH is 3, and ph-controller set to 6.42-6.48 interval, so I'm injecting slightly more than 30ppm CO2. And the current setup is 1 month old, we'll see results :)
Thanks again.

Berkay

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have been mixing glut dilutions as well; and it does work for me. Plants are happy with the extra carbon and the it is keeping the black beard algae at bay :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
So I read another thread somewhere & did not know about not adding the activator. I used the activator. Do I trash it and start over or use it????

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi Aquaticz,

I don't think I would use it. From the information that I can find, the ingredients in the "activator" are:
40% potassium acetate (which should be non-toxic) and
30% Polyphosphoric acids, esters with triethanolamine, sodium salts (the esters with triethanolamine may be toxic to fish)

I am not a chemist, and and it would depend upon the concentration of triethanolamine, but I would exercise extreme caution.

Possibly another member who has had this happen will relate their experiences.

·
Registered
657 Posts
+1 tax Gal
I did the same thing about 3 weeks ago because I wanted to make some
"Good &^*%" (mix your own micro)without buying excel. I definetly see a BIG difference for a small price - which for me is a part of the fun & hobby

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi wet,

It looks like you have made a good start on it but it has two issues.

First why are we using 1.6% instead of the Seachem Excel concentration of 1.5% as the target concentration? The resulting concentration is about 7% stronger than Excel and requires 7% more Glut/Metricide/etc to formulate.

The second issue is a "bug". If I indicate I are using 5% Glut as your source solution the result indicates I am using a 10% source solution and indicates an incorrect amount (by 50%) to add.
Bug

Here are some screen shots of the Glut calculator verses wet's calculator for the same volume and concentrations. Disregard the cost/ml and Total columns, they do not apply to this calculation.

I'll stick with the Excel based Glut calculator on my computer at this point; but this is a good start for an online version.

Thanks,
-Roy

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hey Seattle_Aquarist. Just syncing up these threads. I picked 1.6% because I'm not entirely convinced Excel is exactly 1.5% Glut until someone pulls out a spectrometer (and the difference between 1.5% and 1.6% is not significant), the Indian poster we cite as a chemist and attribute 1.5% to has some non-chemist-like posts in the rest of his history (not that I'm a chemist), and Azoo's and EasyLife's recommended dosing are in the same ballpark

But this is the second request since last night to move to 1.5%. So you've got it.

Thanks for catching the 5% bug!

Also added Metricide 28 on Joraan's request.

Have fun!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi wet,

It is an excellent first effort, and for those that don't have the ability or inclination to use an Excel based calculator it will be an excellent asset.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,
-Roy

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just wanted to report back after 41/2 months no problems noted by using the activator that accompanied the Metricide. However next time I will not uslast time it. I had purchased the metricide 28. I see Tex gal picked up the 14%. Is one better than the other>

BTW between EI, good "stuff*and metricide......my plants look great

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi Aquaticz,

I'm always glad to hear that things are improving and / or going well for another. I found there are no "miracle cures" for algae, however that addition of Excel or Glut is definitely part of my overall nutrient and maintenance program.

When I start to see algae becoming an issue in my tanks it is typically a result of light (too much), nutrients (to much or lack thereof), and not doing adequate water changes. If I am reasonably conscientious about my maintenance I am usually rewarded.

Glad to hear things are going well for you.

221 - 240 of 259 Posts