Aquatic Plant Forum banner
81 - 100 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
So I'm getting ready to try this myself.

I bought 1L of MetriCide Plus 30 from a local hospital supply store (along with some hypodermics and tips to accurately measure out small batches and dose). It comes as a 1L bottle with water, some dye, surfacant, and scent. There's a side bottle with 35.8g of glutaraldehyde that you're supposed to pour into the bottle and shake to reduce down to 3.4%. Since Glutaraldehyde has a density of 1.06 g/ml I'm going to simply add 1ml to 39ml water to make a 40ml 2.5% solution. From then on a .1ml/gallon dose is a normal excel dose giving .66 PPM.
I have a 120 gallon aquarium with several inches of substrate, so say 100 gallons. So lesse, 20ml/day 2.5% is a double dose that should kill algae, right?

What I think happens once I add it to the water is that over time it starts to self polymerize reducing its biocidal effects, but it retains the ability to give carbon to plants. I'm not going to worry about it "deactivating" over time, but I'll still make fresh solution every few weeks just because. The stuff in excel is already polymerized which is why its probably less biocidal than straight glutaraldehyde.

I just want to find out mostly at what concs will this stuff affect fissidens and pelia (since moloselenium terenum is a liverwort like riccia I assume its sensitivity is ~= to riccia's). Does anyone have any information about what ok concentrations are for these?

I'm trying to get rid of some bloody spirogea algae that's been taking over my aquarium. The plants have all the other algae types under control.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any new results on this one? Im curious if anybody actually proceeded to do a chemical analysis, such as GC, LC or so...

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
I have access to H`NMR, C`NMR, GC-MS, and a host of other useful tests. If someone can figure out how to distill the chemical out (making sure it is stable enough for testing) then I would be happy to run the tests.

I am currently doing a study on the effects of excel on two genra of algae Chlamydomonas and Scenedemus to determine what concentration (0.5x,1x,2x,3x) has on them. And to figure out if low dosages can actually benefit algal growth or just harm it like previously recorded.

If anyone has any info that might be helpful, please post it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Zapnis,

I got some info from a safety data sheet on glutaraldehyde
General

Synonyms: glutaraldehyde, glutardialdehyde, 1,3-diformylpropane, glutaral, 1,5-pentanedial, 1,5-pentanedione, cidex, sonacide
Molecular formula: C5H8O2
CAS No: 111-30-8
EINECS No: 203-856-5

Physical data

Appearance: colourless or light yellow liquid with a pungent odour
Melting point: -6 C
Boiling point: 101 C
Vapour density: 1.05 (air = 1)
Vapour pressure: 15 mm Hg at 20 C
Density (g cm-3): 1.106
Flash point:
Explosion limits:
Autoignition temperature:
Water solubility: miscible

You see the boiling point - it looks messy as it is almost the same one as water. You cant distill it out of an aqueous solution.

Cheers,
Marc

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only thing I can find locally is a product called Metracide 28 which says it is buffered? Number one, is "buffered" ok and the big Number Two, the will only sell it in case quanties.

I would like to find a good source. I have 4 liters of Excel from Big Al's Online, but would like to get something less expensive for the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have read in this thread that Excel has a concentration of glutaraldehyde of 2.5%. Is this a documented fact or something that someone here on this forum has figured out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
:Cry:Holy Cow.....shipping is way high. I innocently ordered 1 liter of the 50% solution at 19.50. Web site said it would ship UPS ground and exact charges would be billed.
Well I got billed $27.33 for shipping. When I could get my breath, I called them. Evidently, in the summer it is their practice to ship overnight in ice. No small print to be found. They apologized but the deed was done. Just a word to the wise. They said shelf life was 2 years as long as it didn't get too hot.

Glutaraldehyde - The Highest Purity

25% solution
0-18ºC 16220 Box 10x10ml ampoules 21.00

You can do a 1:9 dilution (10 mL glutaraldehyde to 90 mL of water) to give you 100 mL of 2.5% solution per ampule. That's 1 liter of glutaraldehyde for $21 + shipping. Although some other places might sell bulk for less (not sure, haven't checked) this type of packaged glutaraldehyde is preferable since each ampule is packed in inert nitrogen so there's no breakdown or adverse reactions since it's not exposed to air/oxygen. You can mix up 100 mL batches and dose them as needed so you won't waste much of it.

Heck, if you have larger tanks...
0-18ºC 16521 50% Solution 4x1 liter 67.00

1 liter solution to 19 liters of water will give 20 liters of a 2.5% solution. This is 4x1liters of glutaraldehyde, so you'll get 80 liters. For $67 + shipping. Less than a buck per gallon!

I'm not sure why the riccia is dying. Are you dosing straight into the tank? I suspect that if the entire bunch of riccia is being hit with too concentrated a solution of glutaraldehyde, the fine plantlets won't be able to recover & will die slowly. Try to add the glutaraldehyde in a very diluted form.

Allen, you said the riccia died slower in the 60 gallon tank. I think it's because as you added the glutaraldehyde, it was more easily diluted in the 60 gallons before it hit the riccia as opposed to the 10 gallon tank.

Maybe when you do a WC next time, add the dosage into a bucket of water instead of dosing straight into the tank. Or you can try adding a bit at a time, throughout the entire length of the tank and avoiding the patches of riccia?

I'm looking forward to the remainder if your experiments!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about to buy some glutaraldehyde, but I have a few questions:

First I'm gonna buy it from here:
http://protech-imaging.com/clean.php

Secondly, I'm reading that we don't have to worry about it loosing effectivness for our carbon source purpose (is what the suppliers told you about keeping it from getting too hot for the cleaning effectiveness or for keeping the glutaraldehyde from becoming inactive, which would be bad for us). In fact, someone noticed it polymerized when mixed with water, was less biocidal, and therefore concluded Excel must already be polymerized. If getting it polymerized makes it less biocidal but just as effective of a carbon source, isn't that another reason against worrying about expiration, even when mixed?

Also, do I buy the 14-day "Metricide" or the 28-day "Metricide 28." If it expiration isn't an issue when using it as a carbon source, I assume both options are the same for us? Is the price difference small enough that it doesn't even matter? After reading the MSDS sheets the straight "Metricide" is only water and glutaraldehyde, while "Metricide 28" has some Sodium Nitrate in there is as well (but "in the activator" so I assume it isn't in the glutaraldehyde/water solution and can be ignored?)

Lastly, I have a 20 gallon H tank with very little plants (a water little bulb and java fern), but I plan on getting more. What would be an appropriate amount to dose? I'd like to dose in the most diluted form practical to prevent shocking fish/plants.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have used glutaraldehyde mixed with water infrequently for BBA.
It works fine and BBA starts dying 4-5 days after the initial application.
I dilute 2.5% of 25% percent strength glutaraldehyde in water.
I have seen no ill effects to inverts or mosses up to now.
:)

·
Registered
926 Posts
:: subscribes to thread ::

Some of you guys have some nice toys at your disposal! All I commonly have is a UV HPLC & UV/Vis spec.

Note - Glutaraldehyde solutions containing surfactants such as CIDEX PLUS 28 Day Solution ...

So I'd favor diluting a conc. sollution w/o surfactants etc. just to be safe (though at the concentrations & addition rates we're generally talking about, I doubt they'd hurt anything - still, who needs more variables?).

Please keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I used Cidex successfully. One container is the GA solution, and another container is an alkaline "activator" solution.
make sure you figure out which is which (hint, the GA smells like green apples).

Price wise its even cheaper though to buy 50% GA from a chemical supplier (and more pure too).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is anyone using the Metricide product, and if so, how (dosing rate, dilution rate (with what, etc...)) -

I've read the thread a couple of times and am not sure how many people are using this successfully (and how they are doing it)...

a "DIY" guide to glutaraldehyde might be in order...

Thanks,

- Jeff

·
Registered
926 Posts
I guess you're shooting for 2-2.5ppm glutaraldehyde.

That's 2-2.5mg/L, so figure out how many L of tank water you have, multiply by 2 (for 2ppm), divide by the percentage glutaraldehyde in your solution and that's how many mL you would want to add. From the thread referenced above (I joined, had a look), there's info that the glutaraldehyde has a pretty short half life - it's basically gone in ~24 hours, but you don't want to dose it daily as you might impede decomposition of the algae you're killing off, so the consensus there seems to be ~2ppm, every other day for control of most types of algae (GDA, thread being slowest to respond).

I just got a 1/2L of Excel, so I guess I have until that's gone to find a good source for a glutaraldehyde solution w/o surfactants & scents added.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I bought my glutaraldehyde from http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/chemicals/glutaraldehyde.aspx

I bought the 50% 450 mL biological grade for $18.00 and shipping was only around $6, so it's very reasonably priced and ends up being a fraction of the cost of Excel. They packed it extremely well and I received it in just over a week from the time I placed my order. I'll definitely buy from them again when I finally finish the original bottle.

81 - 100 of 259 Posts