Well, it's been an intriguing week in porcelain land. The place has been a red light district since I saw Ms. Walstad's post. I had a funny little bulb on hand that was one of my first purchases maybe two weeks ago when I was auditioning new lighting systems: a 8.5 watt (65 watt replacement) G.E. LED bulb that had 10 different colors all operational via remote control. To my human eye, however, it just never seemed to pack much of a punch in terms of brightness, especially when switched to any of its color modes.
And, since low CO2 levels seemed to be a co-factor, I decided to throw caution to the winds and left the red bulb on 24 hours a day, (i.e., with no respiration period for any of my plants.)
Here's what happened: over the space of the first 48-72 hours the salvinia minima
seemed to stop propagating. For the first time in weeks, I did not have to remove half of them in order to see the bottom of my bowl. And, as if I needed any further proof that they were performing the lion's share of the ammonia removal, I had my first real spike in NH3/NH4 since the tannin experience six weeks ago.
But, I had to balance that against the fact that there was a tiny new leaf at the center of where all the major growth began six weeks ago, that seemed to be growing exponentially, just as its siblings did before reaching about two inches in diameter. What made this particular leaf so interesting is that by the end of about 12 hours every day it would be pointing determinedly upward.
This went on for a few more days until it became obvious that for all of its girth, its length was not going to go anywhere.
Meanwhile, the water spangles recovered. And, this morning when I went searching for the anubias barteri
I discovered this:
A leaf that clearly wants to be emergent! It's as if my lily and my ancient anubias want to swap personalities.