Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just posted a px of my tank. With that I decided to ask for some critiquing. I don't know the who's who in this aquascaping world, so I stumble on important people without know it and bumble ahead. (So far they have been more than kind to me! :D)

Talked for quite a while to Ricky Cain last night. We talked about the golden ratio in design. (Yes, it sounds ethereal for a reason.:D) He showed me tanks using this ratio. What a difference! We went over my tank in detail. I think I am getting a bigger picture. It was VERY interesting! Beforehand I had googled the term and even read an article about it, (clear as mud to me). It wasn't until he went over it with me that I got it. While I have gotten a handle on growing plants I have a lot to learn about design... I have approached my tank as I would have my yard and it's not the same thing.

I remember Amano saying at the AGA conference that American's have a different style. Now I understand. This golden ratio is a ratio of consecutive Fibonacci numbers that is found all over nature. We see it all the time but don't realize it. It's all around us as in the way leaves are arranged around a stem, sunflower seeds are arranged in a sunflower, number of petals on a flowers, a nautilis shell, etc. (I've used it in quilting!) As a consequence, we are subconsciously always seeing our world in the "golden ratio". SO... if we can scape our tanks using this ratio we end up with something that "looks natural and flows". It just seems to "feel" right. It fits.

I'm sure there are a lot of you that already understand all this. I'm also sure there are more of us that don't! I told Rick I think he needs to do seminars and teach this! It will take at least 3 sessions. What do you all think? Are any of you interested? I talked him about one for the spring. I'll do the organizing for him.

I had session one last night. I'm gonna start by re-arranging my tank. :D

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Golden Ratio and your tank!

So does this sound interesting to anyone? Would you guys be interested in learning about this?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

This does sound interesting! Teach us more... Where's that pic you say you posted?
The px of my tank is in my 125g journal. I am going to try my hand at redoing it using the golden ratio. I have new DW on the way. This concept is so interesting to me. It's not new at all to art but seems that Americans don't use it as much in their scapes. Ricky talked to me for 2 hours about it. I think a seminar would be SO helpful! I am certainly not the one to teach, but I can organize. I want to know if there is any interest out there.

·
Registered
930 Posts

I am interested.

·
Registered
932 Posts

I'll come if you can fly me down? Or do a web cast style lecture then alot more people could see/ participate?

Craig

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'll come if you can fly me down? Or do a web cast style lecture then alot more people could see/ participate?

Craig
I was wondering about that. I am not a computer person so I'm not sure how that would work. It might also be an idea for each local club or a convention or something. It's such a neat concept/idea it's really worth learning. :D I think it would be very hard to do on your own.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts

Drinda maybe you should start a new thread dedicated to the transformation of your 125. You could explain why you re-arranged as you did and discuss the principles involved in your process.

·
Registered
930 Posts

Found that the golden rule ratio is:
Tank lengthwise measurement divided by 2.618. The result is where you put a center piece.

For example:
29 gallon tank is 30 inches wide.
30 divided by 2.618 = 11.45 inches.
At exactly 11.45 inches exists an imaginary line. This is where your focal point should be centered.
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/11/golden-rule-of-aquascaping.html

Now I can't decide what to use for a focal point that will stay small. The only plant that I have that fits that criteria is an anubias. I read that it grows better in shaded area, thus uncertain if it will do good near the middle where the light is the highest.

Tex Gall did you do this? What did you use for center piece?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I haven't really gone forward with this yet. I've been waiting for Tex Guy's tank to come. It's supposed to be here this Sunday. Then I will be able to get some plants out of my tank that I have been saving for his tank. I'll be able to move things around. Seems like I've waited forever!

·
Registered
387 Posts

I was wondering about that. I am not a computer person so I'm not sure how that would work. It might also be an idea for each local club or a convention or something. It's such a neat concept/idea it's really worth learning. :D I think it would be very hard to do on your own.
Hey, Hey, Hey!!! What am I? Chopped liver? All you have to do is ask a guy and maybe he could help. It so happens that I can host a GoToWebinar for up to 125 participants. So, if anyone wants to do that, let's talk. I can also do GoToMeeting for up to 25 participants.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

HOW MANY ARE INTERESTED??? That sounds quite interesting.... Ricky Cain could come here and redo my tank (taking out all extra's for Tex Guy) and help us to learn what he's doing and why. We could ask questions... he could help us understand what this abstract thing is.....

·
Registered
930 Posts

I am very interested!!

Could you explain what is needed for a gotowebinar.

·
Registered
930 Posts

All you need is an internet connected computer and a telephone.
Does it have to be a ground line or can it be a cell phone? I only have a cell phone.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts

Sign me up.

There's obvioulsy more to it than just knowing where the imaginary line should be. Saying you need a focal point and actually creating something that draws attention there are two different things. My little engineer and medicine brain doesn't wrap itself around the art part of 'scaping very well.

·
Registered
116 Posts

I'm so with you all I can see it when the lines are put in an explanation, but implement it myself always seems lacking.
So you can count me in as interested but I work odd hours.

Tony

·
Registered
153 Posts

Im very interested, I just got a new 30g tank set up and id also like to re-scape my 75g. So some more design knowledge would be nice.

About the web cast idea, has anybody looked into making a channel on "justin.tv" (or something similar). Its pretty easy to set up a channel and also for other people to watch.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts