Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 · (Edited)
Just an update. The moss is growing in nice and healthy. The hair grass is very very slowly sending out new plants. HC is spreading slowly, but not as healthy as I like. Might be partially cause the tank is kept pretty lean. It is still fishless unfortunately, but hopefully when I get some fish in there, the nutrients will be up a bit more. This also happens to be a plant that thrives in CO2...and I am not using any.

Do you regret not using a slightly more fertile substrate? Seachem Onyx is pretty inert, I think. The pro being that inert in a small water volume helps discourage algae, perhaps. Was there any peat at the bottom of the Onyx? I would guess (and probably be wrong) that fertile substrate in a tank like this would give good medium rate growth under medium lighting.

The spiral bulbs are very bright and can be quite intensely white too. But I was not very happy with the growth rate under them (Maxlight brand at 26 watts). Have you thought of using one of those small U-shaped fluorescent bulbs instead?

The pro is certainly that it looks squeaky clean. But then again, the con is that Nature Aquariums are not that squeaky clean, so-to-speak...

Andrew Cribb

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Shrimp are reproducing...so that is good :D

I am running with distilled water and equilibrium..so any Ca/Mg/Fe I get which this substrate is good for, is usefull. There is nothing else yet, but I do feed the shrimp well. In time, there will be plenty of mulm to make things more "fertile". The spiral compact is plenty of light for me. THe DIY reflector REALLY makes a huge difference here.

Looking great gomer, are you not using any C02? How is that moss growing so well?

I would go with a school of neons instead of a sparkling gourami, but not sure the limit of neons in that 5g.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.