Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Gomer's 5g office tank ...journal style ;)

11K views 63 replies 29 participants last post by  Sarahpea 
#1 · (Edited)
My lazy arse finally got around to setting up my office tank ...which I intended to do for some time.

I'll try to keep some sort of weekly update on this tank but I might slack off from time to time LOL.

(The hornwort is just in there as a nutrient sump for the time being.)

Dimensions: ~10" cube.
Filter: Azoo palm
Lights: DIY reflector/ 19watt 6700K spiral compact (see below image)
Substrate: Seachem Onyx
Ferts: Seachem- excel, flourish, iron, potassium, nitrogen, phosphorous, equilibrium (using distilled water since I have an unlimited source in the lab :D) ..still figuring out a low light, daily dosing schedule.
Flora: Hemianthus callitrichoides, eliocharlis parvula, weeping moss
Fauna: a dozen baby cherry shrimp, and eventually some micro or dwarf rasboras

#4 ·
Gomer, don't you have any dignity, showing everyone your bare little tank like that! :lol:

Hey, is that HC? I wonder what it will look like when it grows in?!?

Actually, I know, so take a good look at your rocks now because they will soon be swallowed up in HC. :wink:

#6 ·
Hah! I refuse to add any creature comforts to the workplace. I don't need anything sitting in my cube that'll keep me in the office any longer than I need to be. Besides, I have 8 computers, 7 monitors, two printes a CD duplicator, a mobile mixing studio, and a scanner all in my 8'x15' cube...I wouldn't have room for a nano tank even if I did want one! :)

#10 ·
Urkevitz, yes that is the rock from you. Actually, that is some of the rock that I further fractured LOL

Phil, hoping it will come out as I planned....will be a departure from anything I have previously done which is always nice. That piece of wood is actually 4 pieces. the previous ultra nano had 2 of them in there :)

#11 ·
It looks like you're well on your way to a very enjoyable aquascape. Nice design!

Who manufactured that tank? Also, what did you use to make the DIY reflector? I bought some great sprial PC bulbs last year, but I've been using swing arm lamps. I would really like to place them in a canopy, but I wasn't sure what to use as a refelctor. Any insight would be appreciated.

#14 ·
Nice little tank Gomer, I have a similar small tank growing HC with Excel, works like a charm! I dose 1ml every day (2.5 gallon tank), 5 drops of Flourish weekly, 5 drops of Flourish Iron weekly and 10 drops of (I don't recall the concentration) of KNO3+Fleet mix weekly. Got some snails in there, only babies survive so they don't spoil the view (I feed a little weekly and water is very soft).

Keep us updated, this tank is going to look great!

Giancarlo

#17 ·
lfs near me has that exact tank. Just saw it and its little brother in there yesterday. They had the little one set up with a "mini-ecosystem". Some really small crypts and other stuff.

Came as part of a package, including a filter nearly identical to the Azoo Palm except intake was on the other side.

Oh yeah...way too expensive for such a small tank IMO.

#21 · (Edited)
Just an update. The moss is growing in nice and healthy. The hair grass is very very slowly sending out new plants. HC is spreading slowly, but not as healthy as I like. Might be partially cause the tank is kept pretty lean. It is still fishless unfortunately, but hopefully when I get some fish in there, the nutrients will be up a bit more. This also happens to be a plant that thrives in CO2...and I am not using any.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.