Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here from Portland, OR (Vancouver, WA, actually, but it's just across the river;)). I have been browsing the forums for a few months now, and found this one to be the most informative, well organized, and interesting places for tank groupies. I'm brand new to this, as I have only had one planted tank before. It was a bout a year ago, and was more of a romantic gesture than a real effort. I mourn the loss of the poor plants who sacrificed their lives to my amateurism. :Cry:

Since then, I have acquired a few tanks, perfected my DIY CO2 technique, and am prepared to dive into the world of aquascaping. My first project is a pico 2.5. Pics will be posted in a minute. The rest are as follows:

55 gal, empty (soon to be african cichlid home)
90 gal, african cichlids (to be transferred to the 55 soon. This will be my next canvas. Thinking about a South American cichlid tank with some angels, apistos, and rams. Tips welcome for any show/featured plant suggestions)
30 gal spiny eel and apple snail

I also have a ten gallon I may set up sooner or later. I'm really into the nanos, and would love to see some inspiration pics if anyone wants to share. Nice to meet you all!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello from another Portland newbie. I am out in the Beaverton area.
I am in a similar point in my aquatic education. I was hoping to move up to something around 100 gallons soon, but we found out we are about to have child number two. So plans for a big high tech tank are on pause now.
You should try to go to the GPAS meetings. There are a lot of plants there as well as some interesting fish. I imagine that you have at least seen the messages about the Oregon plant swap meet about a month ago. There were so many good plants there. I think it will probably happen again early next year.
I really enjoy meeting other people in the hobby around here in the Portland area. I hope to meet you at some event around town.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you here. Seems like we all lurk around a while before we join. hehehe.

If you go to the aquascaping forum here on the site, they have it split by tank size, etc, that you can browse through users tanks and what not

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Sean. You're in a wonderful forum with friends.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just stumbled onto this site (in Lake Oswego) and knew it was right for me. I am newer to planted tanks/freshwater, but a pro with saltwater reefs (I am an ex-reef store owner) so hoping to get up to speed quickly...

My biggest issue thus far is getting up to speed with all the Sp names - just when I thought I knew it all (jokingly)

I have seen some amazing pics in this forum and look forward to adding my own soon, and glad to see the enthusiasm here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts