Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i just moved to manhattan New york for school (east village to be particular) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good fish/ plant stores around this area. and or any clubs that go on around here just kinda checking the scoop of the fish scene here in general anyone who knows any info would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Jazz

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I don't know any on the island of Manhattan, but about 25 miles east of Manhattan in Carle Place, New York (on Long Island) there is a very large store called Aquarium Adventure. They have a pretty good plant and fish selection if you hit it right. I was actually there a few weeks ago and they had celestial pearl danios, blue and panda tetras in stock.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know any on the island of Manhattan, but about 25 miles east of Manhattan in Carle Place, New York (on Long Island) there is a very large store called Aquarium Adventure. They have a pretty good plant and fish selection if you hit it right. I was actually there a few weeks ago and they had celestial pearl danios, blue and panda tetras in stock.
okay thanks for the heads up since i don't have a car i will have to see if the commuter rail goes somewhere by there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hello i just moved to manhattan New york for school (east village to be particular) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good fish/ plant stores around this area. and or any clubs that go on around here just kinda checking the scoop of the fish scene here in general anyone who knows any info would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Jazz
Hey there - welcome to New York! I've never been to the place that house mentioned (but now will have to check it out next time I go over that way), but I have been to a few others in the area.

As a relative newbie, I advise you to take my comments with a grain of salt - in fact, I'd love to hear from you as to your thoughts and impressions of these places.
In Manhattan:
New World Aquarium on 38th bet 2nd and 3rd Ave is guaranteed to give you sticker shock, but generally has decent quality on corals and fish - only two tanks of plants. The people working there can also have a bit of an attitude.
Petqua on Broadway and 99th reopened about a year ago after a fire - I havent been there since then, but the emphasis of the tanks they had was on freshwater fish.
There are also a few in the downtown/Chinatown area that focus mainly on freshwater fish (most of them are cramped and not places where I'd purchase anything, but one seemed a cut above - it is the one that has a nice planted show tank. I can't recall the name, but will ask my dad when next he and I speak.)

Do you have access to a car? There are a few in Queens that are a bit of a hike via mass transit but less than 30 minutes driving distance away. Same with a few in New Jersey. Let me know and I can give you my impressions of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
New World Aquarium on East 38th Street is very good, but like OneDaySale said, it's not cheap. The people who work there are generally knowledgeable too.

Chinatown stores: Win Aquarium and Pacific Aquarium. Pacific is on Canal street, and Win is on Mott Street. They're easily within walking distance of each other. Their plant selection is okay, but nothing fantastic. Both are a little grimy. But if you're in Manhattan, I'd stop by both anyway.

Petco Union Square: You might luck out one day. I got a great looking rubin sword at a Petco.

Fishtown USA on Northern Blvd in Queens is definitely worth a trip too, although I know you specified Manhattan. They have a pretty decent plant selection, lots of fish, sometimes rare shrimp and inverts, and decent hardscape supplies.

Aquarium Adventure in Carle Place (Long Island) is definitely worth the drive. It's almost an aquarium, it's so clean and well-kept. It is VERY expensive, though. However, every couple months, they have a half price sale on fish and plants. I would keep an eye on their website for the next sale and make the trip then. Anyone heading out to Long Island should also stop by Tropical Showcase in Hicksville on Old Country Road. They have the best plant selection in Nassau County, in my experience.

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
New World Aquarium on East 38th Street is very good, but like OneDaySale said, it's not cheap. The people who work there are generally knowledgeable too.

Chinatown stores: Win Aquarium and Pacific Aquarium. Pacific is on Canal street, and Win is on Mott Street. They're easily within walking distance of each other. Their plant selection is okay, but nothing fantastic. Both are a little grimy. But if you're in Manhattan, I'd stop by both anyway.

Petco Union Square: You might luck out one day. I got a great looking rubin sword at a Petco.

Fishtown USA on Northern Blvd in Queens is definitely worth a trip too, although I know you specified Manhattan. They have a pretty decent plant selection, lots of fish, sometimes rare shrimp and inverts, and decent hardscape supplies.

Aquarium Adventure in Carle Place (Long Island) is definitely worth the drive. It's almost an aquarium, it's so clean and well-kept. It is VERY expensive, though. However, every couple months, they have a half price sale on fish and plants. I would keep an eye on their website for the next sale and make the trip then. Anyone heading out to Long Island should also stop by Tropical Showcase in Hicksville on Old Country Road. They have the best plant selection in Nassau County, in my experience.
Your right it's a huge store. It's in a strip shopping center, but they took over 4 stores so I believe it's about 9,000 sq ft. Quite large for a LFS. It's actually a franchise that is based on Ohio where there are other stores as well. They setup the fish by continent (South America, Asia, etc.) I've been able to find interesting fish sometimes like celestial pearls, etc.

Frosty I haven't been to Tropical Showcase in Hicksville I'll have to check that out. Another good store further out east is Country Critters in Patchogue. They have a very good fish selection, don't remember the plants. There's also Magic Isle Aquarium in Centereach. Also good fish selection so-so plants. I once picked up Coral/Ruby Pencilfish there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This has deviated a little from the original poster's request for Manhattan stores. :) Patchogue and Centereach are pretty far from the city. And regarding celestial pearls, Aquarium Adventure in Carle Place, and New World Aquarium in Manhattan both regularly carry them (I even know what tanks they're in, in each store!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts