Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at keeping snails with the new planted setups that I am working on. I was just wondering what kinds of snails are best for planted tanks? I am setting up two 30's, two 5's and a 6. Going to be stocking the 30's with dwarf cichlids, so no shrimp, but I think snails would be fine. Any input on what kinds of snails are best would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what to take in to account when getting them, so thought I would ask about it. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a healty population of malaysian trumpet snails in my 55 gallon. I didn't ask for them, they hitched a ride into my tank from the plants. I haven't seen any of my ramshorn snails, for which I had around for quite some time. My yo-yo loach seems to keep the population in check. He's a fat loach and I've never seen him feed on the food I use, I wonder if he selectively destroyed my ramshorns? I think snails are good in the whole scheme of a planted tank.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about keeping some yo-yos myself, it would be cool to see them eating snails! I had read some about the Malaysian Trumpet snails being rather popular in a planted tank, but had also read that they should be avoided. (The majority of things saying that they are beneficial though.) Anyone else keeping other species that are hardy enough to with stand the onslaught of a loach?:D Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
If you are going to have yoyos you can forget about snails! [-( I had 1 yoyo, 1 botia, & 2 clown loaches in my 125g. They ate EVERY snail in the tank. BTW the clowns were 2" so not large. I had MTS snails in there, thought they would hide in substrate - NOPE. :croc: I also had nerites believing that they would be too big for them - NOPE. :fish: Put 2 briggs snails thinking they would never be able to get them. Then saw a posting about what they had done to someone else's briggs - slowly drilling a hole in his foot. :axe: That was enough for me. I removed the briggs. Eventually they will hunt down and eat every snail in your tank. :hungry:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are going to have yoyos you can forget about snails! I had 1 yoyo, 1 botia, & 2 clown loaches in my 125g. They ate EVERY snail in the tank. BTW the clowns were 2" so not large. I had MTS snails in there, thought they would hide in substrate - NOPE. I also had nerites believing that they would be too big for them - NOPE. Put 2 briggs snails thinking they would never be able to get them. Then saw a posting about what they had done to someone else's briggs - slowly drilling a hole in his foot. That was enough for me. I removed the briggs. Eventually they will hunt down and eat every snail in your tank.
:rofl: Well, maybe I will avoid loaches, or maybe I just won't pay for any snails, and look for them to hitch a ride in as they can do sometimes. Thanks for the input. Would hate to have shelled out some $$$ for some crazy looking snail only to lead it to the slaughter. I knew clown loaches ate snails like crazy, but didn't realize that other loaches did as well. Loaches :heart: snails in one of those, "I want to eat your soul." kind of things.:)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I am looking at keeping snails with the new planted setups that I am working on. I was just wondering what kinds of snails are best for planted tanks? I am setting up two 30's, two 5's and a 6. Going to be stocking the 30's with dwarf cichlids, so no shrimp, but I think snails would be fine. Any input on what kinds of snails are best would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what to take in to account when getting them, so thought I would ask about it. Thanks in advance for your input.
Depending on the dwarf cichlids you can have amano shrimp with them. I have keep Bolivian Rams, Blue and Gold Rams and Borellis with amanos and they were all happy together.

As far as snails, you can have some ramshorns and some nerites if you can get your hands on some of them. The nerites seem to be good algae eaters.

I am not sure what your substrate is, but some MTS might be good to aerate it.

regards,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure what your substrate is, but some MTS might be good to aerate it.
I am using SMS for a substrate, it is really light. I couldn't put anything else over it, because everything just falls under it, so the MTS might just stir it well.

I have keep Bolivian Rams, Blue and Gold Rams and Borellis with amanos and they were all happy together.
Sweet, it will be strange keeping shrimp in a tank without them being slaughtered in the first five minutes. My green terrors loves shrimp.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a population explosion of MTS... they were fine until they munched holes into the submersed leaves of a new sword. IMO MTS are pests.

I like nerites... They eat all of the worst algae BBA, BGA, and GSA... and they don't breed in fresh water. I'm sold on them after a month of ownership. They've eaten all of the BBA and GSA in one of my tanks... i can't vouch for BGA though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
MTS will take over if you overfeed, otherwise they aren't a big problem and help to stir up the gravel preventing dead spots. MTS are hard to get rid of if you don't want them as they can close themselves in their shell and as adults have very hard shells.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So are the nerites you guys are talking about the saltwater snails? If that is the case how does one go about getting them to a freshwater environment? Also, is it any nerite snail or just the olive ones? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also had nerites believing that they would be too big for them - NOPE.
Now that I know what a PITA these are to find Tex, that really really sucks. So if we ever find some nerites, we know not to put them any where near loaches. I read that they breed in brackish conditions. Maybe if I can ever find any, I can drop some in my brackish tank and never have to worry about tracking them down again.:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
As far as I've read, Planet Inverts is having some issues getting orders to customers. The owner is taking care of personal matters. My LFS got an order of Zebra Nerites, and I was lucky enough to score 8 of them for myself :) Just check around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What have others experienced with AZ Gardens in regards to strictly snail orders? I have read so many negative reviews on them, but I noticed that the few positive reviews are from those who ordered nothing but snails. Would love to hear experiences from those who ordered just snails from them. Thanks for any input.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts