Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas why some of plants grow goofy like this. They are growing and the tank is doing well. It's a 20 long with 55 watts of CF, DIY CO2, ph 6.4 or so, KH 1-2, GH 7-8. Right now it's just in my Rotala indica. It's not like they are growing towards the light either. Some go left, some go right some go back and others in multiple directions. The current is not strong but it's just wierd.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
How long have they been planted in the tank? It usually takes a little while for my new plants to start growing towards the light, but they usually do.

·
Registered
302 Posts
that's how my rotala looks when it's freshly planted. after a day, it grows straight up again...how long has this been?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Least since the 14th. But I believe I had some issues with over dosing K and over reacting to my water tests for N and P. I posted something here about that and maybe that has something todo with it. It needs a trim in the next few days. The water sprite in the back is getting huge and need to toss some frog bit out. I don't think the current is really strong. They move a little but not much at all.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The stems that are going off at various angles are the new growth stems. I can tell because they have more elongated leaves. If the light were brighter and the plant had more room, those stems would be growing horizontally. With good light and room to spread, that's what a plant will do---spread. It tries to grab as much 'lebensraum' as possible.

·
Registered
302 Posts
ok "lebensraum" just reminded me of Hitler... I hope your rotala doesn't attempt to invade your other species because it feels that it's the dominant species :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts