Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am graduating from college and I know I will have some cash. There is some equipment that I have yet to aquire in my quest for aquarium success. Some things I would like to get are either upgrades to what I currently have or I dont have at all. First Ill brake down what I have already and the upgrades I would like then ill list some equipment I dont have and would like. Keep in mind that upgrading the size of my tanks is not an option.

Already have and the upgrade

(1) 5lb co2 - upgrade to a 10lb
(2) CO2 reg with no solenoid - upgrade and buy the solenoid
(3) 2x13w AHS and a 2x13w spiral compact over my 10g - upgrade to a 36w AHS

What I dont have and want

(1) RO/DI unit 25gpd-50gpd. Maybe larger is better if I upgrade my tank size later
a. If I get the RO/DI I will add some of those nicer softwater plants
(2) CRS shrimp. Probably S+ - SS. I once had them and failed but now I know my mistakes
(3) Glass double drop checker from GLA

Let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I definitely like the CO2 soleniods. They take the guess work out of it all. I don't have to worry about gassing my fish or inconsistent CO2 giving me that wonderful algae. I also think I would get my CO2 issues settled before I added more light.

I do love the CRS. They are so nice. They will not live with EI dosing. They are sensitive to ferts. Not sure if that will impact your choices or not. I'm in a quandry myself right now. I either have to change my shrimp tank to low light and slow growers or forget about the CRS. Decisions, decisions.....

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Are you sure more tanks isn't an option? ;)

I'd forego the RO unit. If you have a ten-gallon you can just buy distilled water for less money overall and add it with your waterchanges.

A solenoid regulator would be my first suggestion - it will help give you more success with your plants more than the other items. The drop checker would be my second choice.

Congrats on graduation!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tex gal,

I think the solenoid is what I want to do. I keep my co2 on 24hrs now but I keep my ppm around 25and I dose lean. I do half the EI on an every other day schedule instead of every day. I definitely want to try CRS again they are just so damn beautiful, and I think my new dosing schedule wont be a problem.

Hooha,

I just thought getting the water from the grocery store was a pain, I did think about that though. I just thought it would be a nice piece of equipment to have around in case one day I want those nice erios.

Helgymatt,

I have 5kh and I think 12gh. Not exactly soft but not hard

Decisions Decisions.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Another vote for the solenoid. I just added one to one of my tanks. After having 3 occassions of temporary power outages and having my Renas freeze up because of an airlock, I decided it was time!

Texgal, I dose EI (modified to my needs) and have lots of rcs. Why do you think they don't go together?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I made up my mind.

I have decided on a solenoid and the CRS. If the CRS cant be shipped to Chicago because of the horrible temperatures then I guess I will just be patient. Thanks everyone for helping me out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts