Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this as I was doing some major pruning on my long established 29 gal. When you have plants, you obviously don't vaccuum the gravel. When you re-scape, or prune should you vaccuum as bare gravel becomes visible? Will the build up of mulm over time (years) eventually prove to be fatal to the tank, or just more food for your future plants? What do people think/do?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I lightly vacuum the unplanted areas of my tank every week. When I move any plants around I always vacuum whatever areas become open, then replant. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Sir_BlackhOle said:
I lightly vacuum the unplanted areas of my tank every week.
Same here. I don't like to see a big build up of mulm anywhere. If there isn't a plant in the spot, I like to clean it up. Regardless of many arguments, mulm can and will build up even if you don't over feed. Once the plants are disturbed, it can release all kinds of nasties in the tank.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have never vacuumed my gravel, but I have always thought about it because I hate the nasty mulm after 6 months to a year. Do you use a handheld vacuum like the eheim one, or just the siphon hose vacuum?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts