Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 10 gal tank with 6 fishes in it, recently I bought a water wisteria and planted it in. I have the normal tank gravel in my tank, my question is do I need any specific kind of gravel or soil for the plant? The gravel that I saw at the pet store for plants was very fine but because I have to clean the gravel every week so I am concerned that the fine gravel will get sucked in the gravel cleaner.

Any suggestions....

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
No, you don't have to get any special kind of gravel/substrate. Some plants root better in certain substrate, some substrates have better nutrient holding capacity (or even come loaded with nutrients) , but you can still have a good planted tank without the 'specialty' brands.

The most important thing is good water quality, proper lighting for the plants you want to keep, and nutrition to fit your lighting/plant needs.

Welcome to the hobby, by the way!

-Dave

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I've never used that, but if it were me, I'd prefer to spend my money on things I know plants need for healthy growth - good lighting, fertilizers, CO2, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Bert is right, lights, ferts, CO2.
The only time I've seen plugs is when I've purchased potted plants. And the first thing I do when I get potted plants is remove them from the rock-wool (plugs) and discard all that material and then plant the plants (after trimming the roots, dividing clumps... ) .

Since you are looking at the aquariumgarden website (and I try not to promote one company over another), I'll just let you know that I have purchased plants from them in the past and they were generous with the portions I ordered. The plants were also in great shape. (But it's good to look around at other places as well, especially at the sponsors for this website. )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts