Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hair algae over almost all my stem plants(esp my rotala indica) and I cant get rid of it. Every day I pull it off and more grows. I stopped my trace dosing completely for 5 days now to see if that would help, but it is not. I am wondering if I should just cut off the infested parts and go from there. My tank parameters are:
kh-4
gh-8
Ca-25ppm
Kno3-5ppm
Po4-1.5ppm
I use injected Co2 with ph controller set at 6.6ph, 260 watts pc lights on 12 hours(with 1 hour mid day off) over an 80 gallon tank with light fish load. Any help woul be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Erirku
I am dosing K and Po4 and No3 as well. I was using the PPS system and Chuck's calculator doesnt have a measurement for traces I believe, just the main ferts(No3, Po4, K, Mg). Do u think my plants would hate it if I did a 5 day blackout? I have some Sae's and I bought 12 amano shrimp and they all died within 2 days, I dont know why, maybe too much Co2.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Co2 is above 30ppm, and my No3 and Po4 are listed in the orig post. This stuff grows very fast and I dont know what to do about it. I can remove all I see and the next day its all over and about 6-8 inches long. I am going to try a blackout period cause this sucks.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the hair algae is long and very skinny-easy to break. it breaks very easily. If it was tougher it may be easy to remove. It doesnt seem to branch at all. I just did a water change I will retest later and see what I have.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it does break very easily and my algae fish are not touching the stuff. I read some posts about adding Excel and it acts like an algicide and blasts it with carbo and Co2. I do not have a microscope to check it out. I wish I had a digital camera so I could show you what it looks like

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, I just did a big water change and dosed according to the fertilator. I am also using a double dose of Flourish Excel, I also just tested my parameters.
kh-5
gh-9
no3-5ppm
po4-1.5
ca-30ppm
I am starting to dose a little more Kno3 to adjust the low nitrate issue. Also, according to the Kh/Ph chart my Co2 is 37ppm. I am on day 2 of the Excel and the strand or thread algae looks to be less. We shall see what happens in a few days. Thanks for all the advice. Oh, ya I almost forgot I started with the straight flourish for my traces rather than using the CSM+B. I am dosing 2ml every day, so we shall see what happens.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been dosing the excel for 3 days now and I realy see a difference. There is only 2 faint weak looking strands that I can find. The excel od really works and nothing else seems affected. Even the amano shrimp are great. awesome!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts