Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I found that double dosing excel daily isn’t as effective as 5x dosing after weekly WC in controlling algae. If you are dosing 5x weekly, you do not even need to dose daily unless you want to provide a carbon source.

Dead algae don’t fall off by itself. Get a troop of bristlenose pleco will also help to clean out the dead algae and prevent new algae to take root.

·
Registered
275 Posts
5x after WC is recommended by SeaChem, not extreme for fish. Toxicology studies have shown that adult fish can tolerate even higher levels than 5x, though invertebrates, mosses, Val’s, fish eggs and fry are more sensitive and may not survive. I’ve been dosing 2x daily for a year and I couldnt get rid of some persistent bba and gsa until I switched to 5x after WC. One notable indicator is that I had some mosses that hitchhiked into my tank that I couldn’t get rid of until I switched to 5x dosing. For any medication, under dosing below the therapeutic level won’t work and may even be harmful in cultivating drug resistant strains.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Oh, you're talking about the recommended dose. Not 5x the recommended dose. To be more clear, Seachem recommends 5ml per 10 Gallons after a water change and 5ml per 50 gallons daily.
Yes, thats what I meant. SeaChem recommends two dosages, one for daily and the other after each WC. The after WC dosage is 5x the daily dosage.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It’s much safer to spot spray with 3% peroxide on exposed algae during WC when the water is lowered. Any spill over won’t harm fish as it turns into O2. Bleach is not safe and residue can kill fish if not thorougly dichlore. Peroxide is as effective as excel but costs a lot less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.