Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ten gallon tank that got green water after a battle with ick. I lived with it for a few weeks, trying water changes and willow substitutes. After a three day blackout, followed by a week with real willow stems and big water changes, it cleared beautifully. About three weeks later, I added CO2 (I was using Excel only before). A week ago I resumed ferts (adding anything except Excel seemed to make the previous green water worse) using Kent Fresh plant 2 mil twice a week, and 1 mil of Flourish iron every other day. It was also a warmer week than usual, the house was between 80 and 84 degrees. I keep the kitchen blinds closed around the summer solstice because the sun sneaks in and hits the tank, but it is past it now so I left them open this last week. (No sun anyway because of all this #@$& smoke.) Light remained 2x24 T5 suspended above. Oh, and I changed the filter last week (every four weeks). So two days ago it doesn't look sparkling, yesterday was definitely not clear, and today is a little worse, even after a 50% water change this morning. I have had willow in for two days. Nitrate is zero as always. (Is that OK?)

What happened? And what can I do? If I do a blackout, can it be shorter since the problem is not as bad, or must it be three days? Will this tank always be prone to this? Ideas? Guesses?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Are there any areas with dense growth that are "dead spots". I conquered my green water problem, by thinning out the stems a bit to improve water movement, >50% daily water changes for over a week and Excel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dense growth... big time. For months I threw bits and pieces of everything in this tank, and it all took. The baby tears are 3" deep, wall to wall, with a compact rotala fighting through all over. The filter is an old TopFin 20 HOB that just trickles. All the snails have disappeared and I have no scavengers or bottom feeders. I took the otos out because there is no algae at all. I thought that as long as nitrates were zero then these things wouldn't be a problem. Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Dense growth... big time. For months I threw bits and pieces of everything in this tank, and it all took. The baby tears are 3" deep, wall to wall, with a compact rotala fighting through all over. The filter is an old TopFin 20 HOB that just trickles. All the snails have disappeared and I have no scavengers or bottom feeders. I took the otos out because there is no algae at all. I thought that as long as nitrates were zero then these things wouldn't be a problem. Hmmm.
Well the GW is algae. Sounds like you need better circulation in your tank. I'm working on that myself right now. :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I replaced the filter with an Aquaclear 20, then trimmed the baby tears by 2/3 (note to self- next time, do that in the opposite order). I found a tiny anubia nana that I had forgotten about. I ordered the UV sterilizer, too. I had no idea they made small affordable ones! It should really freak out the rams. They had a hard time catching their dinner tonight- the circulation is definitely better. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Changing the water just encourages green water algae. The UV will work nicely. As others have said, a more dense growth of plants inhibits GW algae.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Nitrate is zero as always. (Is that OK?)
NO! Your plants need nitrates, phosphates, and potassium along with their carbon and micros. Feed your plants, and give them a chance, otherwise you'll be fighting algae.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The tank is heavily planted, growth seems good, with CO2 it got better, but I added nothing but Excel for the last eight or ten weeks. What were the plants living on? Then I started fertilizing and the water clouded up. Too much of... what? Here are some bad pictures after a 30% water change tonight...
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/...t.com/albums/m452/overboard_2008/DSCF1581.jpg

The occupants are: Two small rams, one small molly, and four gold tetras.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Looking at your last picture that shows the whole tank, I see enough open space, not filled with plants, that could encourage green water.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Random thoughts for you here:

--Are you sure your NO3 test kit is reading accurately?
--Plants can grow on reserves for a while, when that runs out, they start to suffer. Perhaps this could explain why your plants were doing fine at the start and now are not.
--Perhaps I missed it, but what is your substrate? How long has your tank been set up?
--Do you have hard or soft water?

Something is missing/out of balance in your tank. The tricky part is figuring out what that something is. If it were me, I'd probably do a massive water change, vaccuming, cleaning, and take it from there. I would start a slow dosing regime, making sure I was providing all nutrients, doing macros via PPS or EI, and have my lights on no more than 8 hours a day. Then observe, and tweak.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering about the test kit. All five tanks are always zero, and an outdoor tub I set up was usually about 10. Then I pulled a spearmint plant out of the pond (commercial grown & terrestrial; probably had lots of nitrogen fertilizer) and it too plunged to zero nitrates. I have another kit on the way. As for substrate, somewhere under the baby tears there is gravel over flourite. It has been set up about nine months, KH is 2 or 3, GH I haven't checked in a while, but it wasn't anything radical. The thing is, the plants are doing fine. I wonder if I should do the macros individually, and not add any iron at all. Iron tests at zero, but I have never trusted that particular Red sea test. What a puzzle...

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Iron tests are fairly worthless, unless you test immediately after dosing, you'll see zero. As far as your nitrate kit, mix up a standard solution containing a certain amount of nitrate and see what your kit shows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts