Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Light is one thing, 10000K and 6700K bulbs bring out the greens better, IMO. Another is dosing, not only iron, but other traces and macros. What are you're N, P levels like in your tank?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my lighting is 3.8 wpg 6500k 10 g nkp I ask for a waater report but apparently my water company doesnt state the elements. and thats the only report they have. no co2 injection my plants are growing though, ust not as green as they can be. Ive been dosing trace though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
3.8 WPG on a 10G tank. Are you using the spiral 19W bulbs? If so, then you are having less than 3.8 WPG.

Nitrogen has been traditionally used to promote vegetative growth and intensify the green coloration. You can add as much micronutrients (or nitrogen for that matter) as you would like, but with that much light and no CO2, it won't help your current condition any. :(

It is odd that your water company doesn't state the elements. What elements/compounds do they state? Let me know where you are from and I'll see if I can find a water quality report for your town or help you interpret yours. If you can scan/transcribe the report and/or provide me with the phone number to your water department (should be on your utility bill), then it would expedite my search process.

---

I see you post a lot across the various forums. A very admirable trait by the way. I am glad that you are asking questions. But to avoid confusion and localize information, let's take a look at your setup across the board. Would you please describe your current setup (both hardware and flora/fauna) in as much detail as possible for me please? Let's work through this together and get everything in order. :biggrin:

Having a successful planted tank is quite easy and methodical. The real challenge is getting the necessary funds to purchase the raw materials. Let's see if we can't save you a few bucks without sacrificing outcome.

[smilie=d:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow ok thanks. I live in southenr california and my water company is sunny slope located in pasadena. I'm using screw ins, I know they are bad but them will work until I get pc. How much wattage am I reall getting them? I have 10 cherry shrimp, 10 cardinals, 1 oto, so far. Growing hair grass and riccia, more coming. the plants are looking good and pearling but only the ones closer to the light. I'm afraid to add co2 in this point because I'll have a lot of ph swings whcih I can not risk right now, my water is very soft and if I make it hard my fauna might die. I already have the diy co2 setup just need to hook up and let it run but as stated, I don't want to kill off my fauna. I have seachem flourish, excel, and iron.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I've heard you can lose as much as 40% from them. I think thats a bit high. Maybe 25%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts