Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just caught the aquarium bug from my friend here in Lincoln, NE. I currently have a 29 gallon tank with 65W PC light from Coralife, a 'regular' filter bought from Wal-mart, and heater. I know I know, it's newbie stuff, but I gotta start from somewhere right? I have been reading a lot of information for newcomers; it was an intense read. However, it did not give much suggestions or point to somewhere to buy some of the equipments. Please don't yell at me if I have not read all the information, maybe someone can just lend a hand and point me to the right direction as to where I can start off with.

THanks!

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Glad you chose APC to come to! I want to congratulate you on your forethought, a 65w Coralife light is the perfect light to start out with and should still be useful in years to come.

There are a lot of places to look for good equipment. If you are looking for some quality brands you might want to take a look at the sponsor websites (all the adds on APC). Ebay is another good place to look. Try the "for sale and trade" section of APC, or craigs list. Finally you might try joining a local plant club in your area and buying from a member.

What sort of equipment are you after? It seems to me that the only thing you are really missing is a pressurized CO2 system (and some plants!).

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like Mike said, you did the right think by buying the PC lights.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
:yo: Hey there. Glad to have you here with the rest of us addicted folks! I buy equip online most of the time. It's cheaper and there is more available. Looking at the sponsors is a good idea. My high tech stuff and some DIY stuff has come from there. For general maintenance stuff you could try Drs. and Foster and Big Als - online. For plants I always buy here in the For Sale Forum. It's the only way to go! :D

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Welcome to APC :D ... I use Coralife fixtures on my planted tanks. I think you will be very pleased with it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thank you all for their responses! I'm now looking at the sponsors as well as the For Sale threads for some foreground plants. I want to cover the front with them, what would you all recommend? The four leaf clovers? That's all I know, lol, so some help or pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Welcome to APC!

I agree, you can't go wrong with the Coralife fixtures. I use them on all of my tanks except the saltwater ones.

I would ask your plant specific questions in the general forums to get more coverage, and more answers. :)

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
I agree with JanS, asking what foreground plants to use in a new thread might get you more answers. But since you asked....

Glossostigma elatinoides,
Hemianthus callitrichoides,
Hemianthus micranthemoides,
Hydrocotyle verticillata,
Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia,'
Hygrophila sp. 'Porto Velho,'
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis,
Monosolenium tenerum,
Pogostemon helferi,
Ranunculus inundatus,
Rotala 'goias,'
Sagittaria subulata,
Utricularia graminifolia,
Elatine triandra,
Eleocharis acicularis,
Eriocaulon cinereum,
Riccia fluitans.

Fyew...

These plants can all be used as foreground plants. Some require frequent pruning and high light to stay attached to the substrate.

There are tons more, but I don't feel like writing them all. Haha :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts