Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting so much useful info from this forum I decided to join and stalk no more :D. I've had a 10gal tank for 8 years or so, just kept plastic plants and boring fish, and was losing interest, when I replaced my small stone substrate with EcoComplete, at the suggestion of a very helpful lady at my LFS, Petco (no booing, please). Yes, Petco! This woman should open her own store, she is such an advocate and so helpful. So she got me started down the road to adding real live plants, and it's been very exciting. I have six flame tetras (best tetras type I've had - very lively and not aggressive - and gorgeous against the greenery) and three cory cats. I like them! They look like little old men with their whiskers, and they cleaned up all the loose stuff off my plants in no time. I give them mealworms as a reward.

Added Flourish Excel for the first time y'day, and my lone "assassin" snail is dying. :( The Petco lady gave him to me for free. She's like that. Poor little guy.

So much has changed since the 60's when I had a leaky glass tank and no lid so my fish were constantly jumping overboard...the old glass wool filter with the noisy air pump grinding away... I have Diane Walsted's latest edition, which just came out. A lot to learn! Thank you all for being here!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Welcome to APC! Seeing that you're in the Pittsburgh area, you should consider checking out the Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society (PAPAS)! We meet once a month @ Oddball Aquariums (typically the first Sunday of the month, starting @ 2 pm). We're an informal group but try to have a monthly presentation, are always open to answer any questions you may have (about anything fish or plant related) and have an aquatic plant auction where you'll find plants you just won't find in stores. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message. Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rover rebounds!

Thanks for the welcome, Jeffy! The lady at the Petco store (Kim, I think she is) also told me about a local Pittsburgh club - maybe it's the same one. I'll have to look up Oddball Aquariums - never heard of it. I live in Bethel Park.

Update on the assassin snail (his name is "Rover", btw, like the Martian explorer). (I know, don't name your fish, then when they die it's sad...) Rover climbed up to the top of the tank, where I leave a bit of air for my water sprite to breathe. He hung out there a day or so. I did 20% water change. Apparently he's okay, he's back in the tank, roving.

So, I'm wondering if the initial 5ml (capful) dose of Flourish Excel is wise for a 10 gallon tank. I will give things a week or so, then slowly add a 1ml here and there, certainly not every day.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
There are actually 3 different aquarium clubs in the Pittsburgh area: Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society (PAPAS), Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society, Inc. (GPASI) and Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society (PMAS). PAPAS was started a few years ago as a spin off of GPASI because the founding members felt that GPASI did not treat the cultivation of aquatic plants seriously. We now have our meetings separate from GPASI, but still have connections with them.

Here is the current address & contact information for Oddball Aquatics:

Oddball Pets and Aquariums‎
262 Joseph Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15227
(412) 884-2333

They are currently located in Baldwin but are planning on moving to Dormant sometime soon (I have no idea when as they have not told us any specific dates - Hell, it was supposed to be last year!). To find out where their new location is, look up where the Dairy Queen is located in Dormant - they're moving into that building complex. The next meeting is April 7th - Joe Doyle will be giving a presentation on how he uses aquatic plants in his fish tanks (he does a lot of fish breeding). Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, Jeffy. We're taking my son to visit a college that weekend, but I'll try to make a future meeting.

I hope they do move to Dormont. Their current location is awful!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts