Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Jason and I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time. Thanks to all who have unknowingly given me advice for the past several months!

I have been keeping fish for almost 30 years now, mostly smaller tanks (some more successful than others) and African cichlids. My fishkeeping was interrupted for a few years by Hurricane Katrina, but last year my wife decided I should have a new tank for my birthday, and I decided to make it a planted one.

I am currently running a 10 gal, with what I can best describe as an eclectic natural style. I started off with Seachem Excel for CO2, then graduated to a DIY yeast reactor, and for the past couple of months I have run no injection on it at all. It is stocked with 7 Cardinal tetras, one Apisto agassizi, three Otos, one banjo cat, 2 bamboo shrimp, and a flurry of CRS. Seems overstocked, but my nitrates are currently at 0, and I seem to (knock on driftwood) have no problems with algae. My plants are spiral Vallisneria, three Cryptocorynes, one dwarf lily, one Kleiner Bar sword, Java fern, cabomba, and Lilaeopsis mauritius. My lighting is a cheap incandescent hood that came with the starter kit, equipped with 2 15w compact fluorescent spiral bulbs, and I am using Seachem flourite as a substrate. 25% water changes are performed bi-monthly, and I am running a penguin 10 gal HOB filter with sponge over the intake. It sounds like an awful mess, so attached a picture I took about a month ago. Most of the plants are about 1/3 bigger now than they were then.

At any rate, I just wanted to introduce myself and thank all of you who have posted advice over the past 9 months--I couldn't have put this tank together without it.

Jason

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Hello Jason... Welcome to APC :grouphug: ... Looks like you are off to a good start.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Hi chesen (Jason),

Glad you joined us, welcome to APC! Your tank looks very good, the plants look especially healthy. There are lots of friendly, knowledgeable people here that are willing to help.

I grew up in St. Louis, moved away 31 years ago, it is a great city.....I especially liked "the hill" and "Ted Drewes". If you have lived there a while you know what I am talking about! Anyway, glad you joined us!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forum. Your tanks looks very good. Can you please share the list of plants in your tank also?

Thank you and welcome again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts