Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Welcome rodrigaj,

I have found APC to be an excellent site with friendly people who are always willing to provide information and support. Hopefully you will come to enjoy this site as much as I do.

I can see from your tank you certainly have some experience at this! I like that all the plants look good and healthy, but I especially like your use of plant texture and color.

When you feel like it, tell us something about yourself and how you became involved with planted tanks.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Welcome to APC. Your tank looks great and healthy, how long have you been in the hobby?

-Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant to say more but got distracted and hit the enter key.

I've been in this hobby for 35 years. For awhile, I had way too many tanks. Now I have only my 55gal which you see in the picture.

I try to keep it simple now: EI dosing, flourite substrate and CO2. PVC piping of my own design and configuration.

I have a large ocean clear filter and a 40rlt Iwaki pump. The output is split to go to the co2 reactor and the main water output.This allows me to control the output of the co2 Jaqno external reactor independently of the main water outflow.

The fish are mostly rosy barbs, of which I have too many. SAE's, bristlenose plecos, lots and lots of snails (MTS, ramshorns). While not the best fish for a planted tank due to their large size and color, rosy barbs are a favorite of mine. They are easy to breed and they are fun to watch. They are spoiled with a steady diet of wingless fruit flies and brine shrimp.

Plants: limophilia indica, crypt retrospiralis, crypt wentii, valspiralis, java fern, anubias, bacopa australis, ludwigia repens, myriophylum heterophyllum (red foxtail), echinodorus osiris, echinodorus kleiner bar, crypt lutea, nymphaea stellata, java moss, lilaeopsis mauritius, sagittaria subulata, bacopa monnieri.
These plants have been chosen for their tolerance of the extreme hard water we have in Dane County, WI.

I'm looking forward to getting more ideas about landscaping and to contribute and learn from the large knowledge base here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to APC!
Your tank is gorgeous!
Why, thank you.

I appreciate the amano style and would really like to have a rigorous dutch style tank, but the controlled "jungle style" suits my laziness.

I didn't mention my lights: (4) 55 Watt 6700K Compact Bulb built in to my handmade cherry wood cabinet. The sags need some trimming :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Great looking tank! Also the stand & frame around the tank is very unique, looks really nice. Did you build it?... Welcome to APC :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great looking tank! Also the stand & frame around the tank is very unique, looks really nice. Did you build it?... Welcome to APC :D
Thanks.
Yes, I built the stand and frame out of solid cherry. No stain, just three coats of varnish. Woodworking is another hobby of mine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Beautiful tank. Nice texture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts