Aquatic Plant Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Oriental will ship via airline. You'll want it to come to an airport with a US Fish and Wildlife inspector on staff. Last I checked that was Miami, Washington Dulles, Newark, Chi, and LA. Inspectors work M-F 9-5, so you will need to time it to fit that. Paperwork, you need an import lic, takes a few weeks to get one and OA will supply the phytosanitary cert.
OA does not supply the the phytosanitary cert. for free. They charge for it. You need the import license, not free either, bill of lading, customs forms... The cost of freight is based on weight, and there is a minimum amount of freight that is either set by OA or the shipper. The prices are all in singapore dollars and is usually paid upfront... It is a very complicated process and expensive. It does not surprise me at all your friend backed out of it. Good luck. OA has minimum count of plants in packs, each pack must be 25 to 50 plants depending on the specie. One little pack of 50 plants is about 1/500th of whats needed to make their minimum weight requirement. You need to order LOTS of plants to make it worthwhile, more than you could ever get enough people together for.

I cant do it alone for my business. African exporters are pretty much the same. The minimum can be anywhere from 1000 to 5000 plants per specie. That is why you sometimes see some online guys selling Anubias incredibly cheap...they are desperate to get rid of them!

Here is an example. I get emails from exporters offering me stuff all the time. This one is from Central Africa.

He offers several Anubias species and Crinums for for 7 to 25 cents per plant. There are 500 to 800 plants per box per specie. Minimum order is 8 boxes. Each box weighs about 12kgs. phytosanitary certif. is $80. There is a box charge of $8.50 per box. Then comes the freight charges, customs charges, forwarder charges. When you are done, that 7 cent plant costs you about 60 to 70 cents or $300. Thats just for one plant. Multiply that by eight to reach the required minimum. If it is held up in customs for a week or two, you may lose a good portion of the plants. If customs find any irregularities and destroyes the plants, oh well tough luck. You are out the plants and the money.

It's cheaper to fly there yourself: to Taiwan or Singapore.
Not if you want to do it legally. It is called smuggling. These guys in Taiwan that are selling plants via Aquabid and mailing them to the USA are smuggling as well.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.