Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a quick way to grow algae on rocks for my Hillstream loaches. I'd like to hear from people that do this regularly. Particularly light type, water temp, depth of container, etc. Also, would it help to throw in some liquid ferts?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 3 Beaufortia kweichowensis in a 10 gallon. It's at 70*. I have the water level a little low and the filter outflow blasting onto a large rock which also has room under it for hiding. It has a sand substrate and other river rocks, too. I am feeding them shrimp pellets and sinking wafers, too. All in all, I think I've got it set up pretty well for them. I'm thinking of putting in a bubble bar with rocks over it, as well.

I have close to 3 wpg on the tank. So, I may just be impatient about waiting for the algae to grow. It's only been set up for about 2 weeks. I'm also wondering how well algae grows with a lot of current. And if having about 4 inches of space between the lights and the water line will affect is as well. Anyone know about that?

I guess I better get the nutrient sucking Anacharis out of there, eh? :roll:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the tips, folks!

I added another small filter which provides more aeration with it going full blast. I don't have $$ for anything else.

Tom: What exactly would you suggest for directing light to one area of the tank? Right now I have a couple of strip lights with NO fluorescents on there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it could be considered hijacking. But, since "Aqualung" brought back so many fond memories of the '70s, all is forgiven! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts