Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tank in the balcony (actually a cooler :D ) where I soak my driftwood before using/trading it...

I have not changed the water for some weeks now... did not have the time... and I noticed today that there where little critters swimming... I am talking 3mm long, they have a head about 1mm in diameter, 1mm wide cylinder-like body, and what seems to be to tails perpendicular to the body about 1mm long very very thin... I am sure it is some kind of insect i do not think it is mosquito larvae... it must be something else...

Anyway, I took some fed them to my guppies and they seem to enjoy them... any clue if any of these critters may not be good for fish to eat?

When the guppies where trying to eat them, it seamed like the critters where stinging them with their tails... can this be possible? what are they? I do nothave my camera, I will try to post a picture later.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I cant think of the name right now but there is an insect larvae similar to dragonfly larvae that match your description. I think that they might eat small fish fry.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Benicio,

Sounds like Mosquito larvae. Down here its a sin to leave stagnant water around because of the Nile virus. They are good fish food, but if they ever hatch in the house.....

A little chlorine bleach would disinfect the water and help bleach the wood.

Steve

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Around here a bunch of the local clubbers grow plants in ponds/buckets/whatnot on their porches over the summer. To keep the mosquitoes down we put a betta or two in each container and they do a great job. In fact, a couple guys use them to breed bettas as well.

Best,
Phil

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my guppies seem to love them, I would hate to "chlore" them... but, on the other hand... how real is the threat of the Nile Virus in Florida?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sir_BlackhOle said:
I cant think of the name right now but there is an insect larvae similar to dragonfly larvae that match your description. I think that they might eat small fish fry.
Damselfly? They look quite a bit like dragonfly larvae, but are smaller. The ones that I see in my neck of the woods are mainly greenish.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Based on the info from the link I am bleaching them larvaes !

Or I could take some of my guppies "out for dinner" :) I saw male bettas on sale at the LFS for 2.99... I may get one.

I think "wild" fish here in florida are big fishes... I do not know of any small species I can catch locally... but what the heck I'll get some and keep them while they are small..

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
You're in Fl. Go out to your nearest canal/pond and net out a handful of gambusias. That'll take care of anything that tries to move in the water. When you're done, return to the ditch and dump them back out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I live in upstate, NY. How would I go about growing plants outside during the summer? WOuld a black bucket get too hot? Minimum "container" size,.. need to have clear walls or preferably not?
we also have 'squitos.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a non-transparent 15 gal storage box growing L.Repens, B. Monnieri, Cabomba, amongst others with no problems. Not even adding any fertilizers.

I just tried it one day... I am not sure what, if any, the secret is.

I keep my guppy fry there, to save them from their intolerant and hungry parents :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts