Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,700 Posts
My experience with the Madagascar lace plant is that it does not like a rich soil with a lot of ogranic matter. Instead, use some subsoil mixed with gravel and a half inch of gravel on top. The so-called dormant period may be just a result of running out of nutrients for this species. Lace plants have always done poorly for me if grown by themselves, but they do much better if they have other plants growing near them. Small crypts are nice. Perhaps the roots of these "companion plants" help the lace plant in some way.

I once had a lace plant grow continually for five years without any dormant period.

· Registered
4,700 Posts
I have established that Madagascar lace plant bulbs do not tolerate being dried up. I had a tank with several lace plants dry out on me, and none of the bulbs recovered. :oops:

· Registered
4,700 Posts
Probably anything that gets its roots down there with the roots of the Lace plant. Without companion plants, the older leaves of the lace plants tend to die back. They get dark brown dead spots that grow until the whole leaf is dead. Lace plants also like lots of iron in the water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.