Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on growing either x-mas moss or erect moss. I have both cold and warm water setups, low and high light in them. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice or wants to share their love of aquatic mosses.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I grow them in a medium to low light tie on driftwood with a temp. 80*F.
That is the only way I can maintain the xmas moss shape.

Ken

·
Registered
29 Posts
mosses

I have grown java fern prolificaly, but I am not familiar with Christmas moss. Does anyonone have a pic or even some to share. I have java moss and maybe javafern to trade..Java moss and fern is very easy and undemanding, but it does better in neutral, soft and slightly acid water . Low light is fine.. Anyone have any christmas moss pics? Or pics of any other mosses? What is Riccia considered?

thank you friends, shannon :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi. As you can imagine :wink:, I love mosses, specially java moss. It grows really well on my tank (temp: 27º C). Two days ago I separated about 6 cms of it and I'm trying to see if it grows well in cold water sun lit, just to compare growth rates. Hmmm while I'm typing this I'm slowly realizing :oops: it is a stupid idea, 'cos room temperature is getting warmer now in my country, and I'll soon have to turn the heater off in my tank... :roll:
I'm really tempted to try the background solution of covering it with moss attached to bark wood or a net of some sort... but people say it's quite messy...
Regards.
Here's a picture of x-mas moss:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497&highlight=win

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I'm growing it well in a salad take out container on some moist soil. Unfortunately I've never put it in water before. It's growing gangbusters at about 65*F here. Most mosses will grow well in just about any tank condition as long as you don't have fish that will eat it. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Phil that is very interesting to hear your setup, what kind of lighting are you using to grow it ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts