Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it typically take HC to double in plant mass? i have one pot for a 3'x6'' lawn. Should i try to get more of it?

Also how long will it take L. Cuba to do the same thing? Givin optimum conditions for both.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
For Ludwigia sp Cuba, I'd say about a week. Mine required nearly weekly trimming when it was at its best.

I topped the stems instead of pruning it across the top. I never had any problem with it that way.

Carlos

·
Registered
739 Posts
Same here, L. Cuba in it's prime will double at least each week. HC too, but it's more dependent on conditions. I have HC in two tanks at the moment, in one tank it has remained healthy however very little growth occurs, it has doubled in size in about a month. On the other hand in another tank it has doubled in size in a week after I made some changes to the water chemistry. Although it is a little early for me to tell based solely on my own experience, it appears to have picked up in growth rate when I dropped the KH to 0, at least this was the only change done to the tank in the last 2 months.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Ludwigia cuba I keep grows about 4 inches each week.

I covered a 3'x8" foreground with HC in under 2 months starting with about 8 pots. Each pot was about 2-3" in diameter and I could split that into 4-6 portions for planting. Flourish tabs worked wonders for me. By the 3rd-4th month, the lawn was almost an inch thick.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang. Mine has not grown all that much... but maybe its just forming roots. Did yours collect algae in the beginning. Mine is starting to, maybe when growth picks up the algae will back off. Or when i get more shrimp to eat it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts