Aquatic Plant Forum banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

· Registered
690 Posts
imatrout said:
I'm interested too! However, for a nano tank, I think if somebody came up with a $10 device that could simultaneously puncture and seal plastice soda bottle cap, they would have a winner.

For 50 cents I can buy a 2 liter bottle of soda water. If I could get the CO2 out in BPM's, I think it could last a week or more supplying a 1-3 gallon tank. Maybe longer! You need a device that has a needle valve built in and a hose attachment, but on the other end, clamps to the bottle top, punctures it and forms a seal.
I would be worried about fouling the regulator by using the co2 in soda bottles.

I will fill everyone in on the price when I recieve my quote from Leland, they sell directly to consumers.

· Registered
690 Posts
Marc said:
So let me back up here for a second. That lelad regulator- what canister will that fit? will if fit the paintball tanks?
That Leland regulator fits disposable co2 cartridges of 3/8" or 5/8". I am trying to find out if the Leland regulator can fit paintball cylinders pressurized to 850 PSI, because I think they are also 5/8". It was designed for disposables though.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
fishfry said:
That Leland regulator fits disposable co2 cartridges of 3/8" or 5/8". I am trying to find out if the Leland regulator can fit paintball cylinders pressurized to 850 PSI, because I think they are also 5/8". It was designed for disposables though.
I am pretty sure it is a different thread spacing even if it is the same diameter. The Leleand is made to actually peirce a disposable cartridge...

That being said, Drs Foster and Smaith sell that exact regulator along with a 2.5 gallon CO2 cylinder. The wording in the cataloge is "for use with the cylinder listed below" but I do not know if that is a marketing ploy or not.

Any good paintball store can swap the factory thread stem to a standard CGA320, at least mine will although I have not had them do it.

· Registered
690 Posts
dennis said:
I am pretty sure it is a different thread spacing even if it is the same diameter. The Leleand is made to actually peirce a disposable cartridge...

That being said, Drs Foster and Smaith sell that exact regulator along with a 2.5 gallon CO2 cylinder. The wording in the cataloge is "for use with the cylinder listed below" but I do not know if that is a marketing ploy or not.

Any good paintball store can swap the factory thread stem to a standard CGA320, at least mine will although I have not had them do it.
I can't seem to find the dr FS regulator you are talking about, I just see the standard azoo one.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
fishfry said:
I can't seem to find the dr FS regulator you are talking about, I just see the standard azoo one.
Actually, it might have been pet solutions or something. As soon as I saw the price I did not care, but I do recognize the regulator and remember being able to make out the Leland name on it.

· Registered
494 Posts
Ouch...
I can feel a hole burning straight through my pocket, my wallet, and into my thigh...

I might as well just get an Azoo regulator and a 2.5# co2 cylinder for my 10 gal., I thought this might have been a neat alternative. Keep that excellent APC brainstorming work up! What exactly do you do dennis? You're a machine! :rolleyes:

· Registered
690 Posts
You don't have to buy through a middle man, Leland sells directly to consumers. I am still waiting to receive my quote because the sales department is out of town. It will definitely be pricey, but still way cheaper than the ADA regulator. In my situation I can't bring a 2.5# cylinder to my workplace, there is just no way they would allow that, so this is a great alternative.

Another website sells the regulator plus an attachment for 5 dollars cheaper than petsolutions.

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18313

· Registered
37 Posts
Lower Price! I found the Leland regulator for $100 including shipping at this site:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...10143&osCsid=6d4ff726fbf613f89da41a1fa0c96741

It fits the 74g CO2 bottles, which they also sell for under $10 each, so I'd rather go for the paint ball cylinder approach since they're refillable, and bigger.

Does anyone know where to find the 20oz adaptor that Dennis linked to at the engravingschool.com site? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

So would I just need the Leland regulator, a 20oz paintball tank, and the 20oz adaptor to make this work?

Thanks everyone.

· Registered
403 Posts
I'm definately interested...used to be an avid paintballer and have tons of c02 bottles which are just sitting around...and man I would be happy if I could slap a regulator on one of these suckers...

· Registered
260 Posts
Wow this is all great. Feel like a kid in a candy store. It just so happens that I have been looking for a compact solution for my 10 gallon tank. Getting a 5lbs C02 tank is out of the question for me. Compact is key and this is the ticket. I also have a lot of the disposable Co2 bottles around from when I did a lot of cycling (used to use them to fill the tires) and what's great is that you can get replacement cartridges anywhere- talk about convenient. I think anything under $150 is reasonable considering that the alternative (ADA) will be at least $100 more- unless you want "spring shower" scented C02 LOL :rolleyes:

Overall I think it's worth the cost and a convenient alternative to using SC excel daily or having this big tank next to your little desktop nano tank at work. I can't imagine walking into work with a 5lbs. Co2 tank. Security would probably think I'm blowing up the place or something!

So has anyone set one up yet?

41 - 60 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.