Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
power surge burned Coralife 2X65W fixture ballast? Can it be fixed?

Help! Anyone here know if I can salvage my Coralife Freshwater Compact Fluorescent Fixture? We had a generator power surge after Gustav that literally burned the bulbs up---they smoked up the whole place.

I ordered replacement bulbs only to find that the ballasts? (I'm no electrician!) must be fried because the fans come on but the brand new bulbs do not come on.

My plants aren't gonna make it much longer with just sunlight and 30W. Can this unit be fixed somehow or do I have to order a whole new unit??

Thanks for any help,
Desperate in Louisiana

·
Registered
38 Posts
Coralife at one time sold replacement ballasts, I do not know if they still do but call their customer service number and check. It probably won't fix the problem fast enough though going that route. You may be able to put a different ballast in the fixture, like a Fulham Workhorse or something, which you may be able to buy locally. I'm not sure if one would fit, but I think it would. You don't have to be an electrician to rewire it, just able to follow directions.

http://www.fulham.com/index.php

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the informed reply! I finally decided, with no answers here yet, that I had to hurry and order a new fixture online since that would be faster in the end (and insurance covered) than trying to install a ballast and possibly have it fail. The tank is rapidly going down hill.

However, your information is still useful, as I will probably buy a ballast for this broken fixture at a later date and use it on another tank since it sounds as if this should do the trick.

Thanks,
Javalee

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.